looking at getting a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey everyone

I'm currently looking for a new dive computer. i currently have suunto D4i and liquivision keon. currently at the moment fixing both computer. I'm looking for a computer that can do rec and well as tech. my tech side is currently 50m twin tanks working on getting lower. so i want something that can grow with me have been looking at the scuba pro galileo luna and the shearwater perdix and petal also some people have told me about the ratio IX3M and oceanic VT4.1 and VTX i dive nearly every weekend and i dive twice a day sometime i side mount. the most i can afford is 1500 so I'm looking for something hopeful cheaper but doesn't have to be. also it has to have air integrated and i want to change my battery also i want to be able to see the number. plz i would love some help i want i should look at getting.

If you want a rec/tec computer with AI, the only one I would look at is the Perdix. Nothing else comes close if you need WAI. There's a couple options out there that can compete with it if you don't, but since you indicated you need air integration, then Perdix is the only one to look at. They're well with your budget with a transmitter at around $1200USD
Cave Adventurers - Perdix AI - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Hi i am currently looking into the ratio dive computers. they look nice, almost the same as suunto but more features.
There are a few models, and if you pay more you will get an o2 analyzer in it.

If you want a rec/tec computer with AI, the only one I would look at is the Perdix. Nothing else comes close if you need WAI. There's a couple options out there that can compete with it if you don't, but since you indicated you need air integration, then Perdix is the only one to look at. They're well with your budget with a transmitter at around $1200USD
Cave Adventurers - Perdix AI - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
1500 aus if i get the perdix i won't get air integrated

The Ratio computer is a far better deal for recreational/technical/advanced technical/RB with our without AI. I have been convinced that it is superior to Shearwater.

I wouldn't bother with the other brands/models if you are going technical. The choice is Ratio vs. Shearwater for advanced recreational and technical diving.

The Ratio computer is a far better deal for recreational/technical/advanced technical/RB with our without AI. I have been convinced that it is superior to Shearwater.

I wouldn't bother with the other brands/models if you are going technical. The choice is Ratio vs. Shearwater for advanced recreational and technical diving.
The Ratios look like nice computers with a lot of features (I like the vibration alarms) but I don't like the form factor: I much prefer the size/shape and fit on the wrist of my Perdix versus my old Petral 2 and the Ratios look larger and more like the Petral 2 (i.e., a brick - but thinner).

I also like the piezo-electric buttons and 2 button interface on the Shearwater: simple and intuitive - not sure about the 4 push button interface and button location on the Ratio without trying it?

Finally, I prefer the user replaceable AA battery in the Perdix versus the rechargeable Li-ion in the Ratio. It is also interesting that they claim their battery has no memory effect? I thought all Li-ion batteries had that issue over their life.

Last edited:
I also like the piezo-electric buttons and 2 button interface on the Shearwater: simple and intuitive - not sure about the 4 push button interface and button location on the Ratio without trying it?

I would prefer the button placement of the iX3M. I know 2 people personally, IRL, and 1 on this board, who have all had gas switches happen on the Perdix/Petrel without them even knowing it, due to inadvertent button presses. I can't see that happening with the front-mounted buttons on the iX3M.

Also, it's always awkward for me to push the button that is towards my elbow on a Petrel/Perdix. And, with gloves on, I can't feel the Petrel/Perdix buttons, so I have often had to actually look to get my finger on the button I'm trying to press.

I still choose the Perdix AI over the iX3M because of price and because it uses a "common" (and well-proven) AI transmitter. And I don't feel any real draw to the extra features the iX3M has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom