looking at getting a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would prefer the button placement of the iX3M. I know 2 people personally, IRL, and 1 on this board, who have all had gas switches happen on the Perdix/Petrel without them even knowing it, due to inadvertent button presses. I can't see that happening with the front-mounted buttons on the iX3M.

Also, it's always awkward for me to push the button that is towards my elbow on a Petrel/Perdix. And, with gloves on, I can't feel the Petrel/Perdix buttons, so I have often had to actually look to get my finger on the button I'm trying to press.
Fair enough - from an ergonomic POV, I can see that it might be a more "natural" hand position to reach/press the buttons if they moved them to the front edge like the Ratio. As I use it in Rec Nitrox mode, I don't really need to press the buttons very often so it has not been an issue I've noted personally.

However, after looking at the Ratio menu system in their manual, I still like the 2 button interface and screen prompts better - it's seems more intuitive to me and eliminates the need to memorize which button does what and when?

Fair enough - from an ergonomic POV, I can see that it might be a more "natural" hand position to reach/press the buttons if they moved them to the front edge like the Ratio. As I use it in Rec Nitrox mode, I don't really need to press the buttons very often so it has not been an issue I've noted personally.

However, after looking at the Ratio menu system in their manual, I still like the 2 button interface and screen prompts better - it's seems more intuitive to me and eliminates the need to memorize which button does what and when?

Yeah, I have not actually used a Ratio, so I don't know about how well their menu system works in practice. I just would prefer front-mounted buttons, versus side-mounted. I also would like the Petrel/Perdix even better if it had at least one more button, to do a Back/Esc function, instead of always forcing you to cycle all the way through every menu or submenu that you go into. Or, if it recognized a long-press differently than a short-press/tap - like my SeaBear H3 does. That would also give 4 different semantic actions with only 2 buttons (vs only having 2 actions, as the Petrel/Perdix does now). Really, though I think 4 buttons is ideal. Then they work as Down/Next, Up/Previous, Right/Enter, and Left/Back/Esc. With the right menu design, it would be pretty intuitive - and faster than a UI that relied on long-presses for some things.

the shearwater UI is basically left button=scroll, right button =select. Yes it's a bit annoying during setup to have to scroll all the way through the menu's, but you don't really do that all that often. I have heard of the auto-gas switches, but there are ways to prevent that from happening, and it's actually quite a few button presses to change gases unless you are at a depth where the computer thinks there is a better gas available. You can also turn off the quick gas change function

Having dove the iX3M a few times, I can maybe shed some light:
  • The size is notably larger than the Petrel, and I'm a big guy who's not sensitive to size.
  • The buttons weren't as ergonomic as on the Petrel for me.
  • I've never had an inadvertent button press on the Petrel but got several on the iX3M. They're larger buttons that are more exposed, and I had issues with buttons being pressed (during what I'm assuming was bottle handling but am unsure).
  • The vibration alarm is cool but overall not a major selling point. It never notified me of anything I didn't already know (or expect shortly).
  • The menu structure is not as clean as the Shearwater computers, but is usable.
OP: If you're at 50m now and looking to continue progressing, there's absolutely no reason to purchase outside of the Shearwater family. I recently purchased a Divesoft Freedom and it's been okay, but inferior to the SW I kinda wish I would've gotten.

Back
Top Bottom