Longer hose on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B:
This is what comes to mind when you talk about a bungied hose and it does not seam to pose such a deploymant problem as long as you've done it before (and in this pic, even if you did not pull it out before handing it off, It doesant look any shorter than the hose that I'm dealing with now) ... http://data2.itc.nps.gov/submerged/dispproj.cfm?alphacode=LAME
DB

Kind of looks like packing a parachute to me..If it's not packed right you will have a tangled mess (on your back no less, where you cant get to it) when it comes time for an emergency deployment.. Why make a problem?

With my primary tucked away securely in my belt, even if, by some strange situation something does get tangled, I can very easily untangle it, as it is all right there in front of me..

StSomewhere:
Third, having that primary on a 40" hose will be a pain suiting up, your reg will either lay on the floor of the boat and get smashed, or it will drag in the muck for shore diving. This would be even worse with a longer hose. So I keep my primary clipped off on my right D-ring until I'm ready to hit the water. DIR divers do this with an attached bolt snap with cave line where the the reg attachment meets the air hose (link to GI3's setup). Right now I'm using a DiveRite Octopus Holder to clip off the primary when suiting up, etc. I keep the holder itself attached to my right D-ring pretty much at all times, the reg mouthpiece goes in and out of the bungee only out of the water....

Last, the bungeed backup is *great* in the water (which is the real test) but you'll need to lose your snorkel or trade it for a pocket snorkel. ...

For the "dragging hose" issue, the Sherwood Maximus comes that way (underarm hose). Instead of bungee on the right shoulder D Ring, I use surgical tube -- flexible, lots of give.

I always dive with a pony, which leaves me with that 40" hose -- I ended up doing another surgical tube loop, a large one, tied off to one of my BC side compression straps. It keeps the hose tight to my body, and the loop is large enough that I don't have to "crimp" the hose to put it through. This wouldn't work well with really long hoses, but it's fine for a 40".

It simply amazes me that all I did was unscrew the old black hose, screw in the new 40 in yellow hose & go diving.

I didn't put an elbow on it, or a swivel, or route it under my arm or any other thing out of the ordinary. I simply use it just like my old hose.

It has not added any drag that I can notice, nor does my mouthpiece feel any different. The only thing that's different is that I have a bit longer hose to use if I need to hand it off.

You guys keep talking about simple. I don't think it gets much simpler.

As far as long hose routing goes...

I just don't see how anything can beat the standard Hog or DIR routing. I don't like the stuffed or bungeed long hose for many of the reasons previously mentioned. In addition, I certainly wouldn't want to have to bungee that thing up every time I switched tanks to do a dive. While I'm sure that a bungeed hose would work just fine for an OOG situation, it just isn't near as slick as a "wrap"...I sure hate using that term, BTW.

To my way of thinking, the bungeed hose is an O.K. solution to stowing and deploying a long primary... but the Hog or DIR "wrap" is an ingenious solution to that problem.

Wayward Son:
It simply amazes me that all I did was unscrew the old black hose, screw in the new 40 in yellow hose & go diving.

I didn't put an elbow on it, or a swivel, or route it under my arm or any other thing out of the ordinary. I simply use it just like my old hose.

It has not added any drag that I can notice, nor does my mouthpiece feel any different. The only thing that's different is that I have a bit longer hose to use if I need to hand it off.

You guys keep talking about simple. I don't think it gets much simpler.

Very simple. I just don't like the larger bow that the longer hose will give when routed over the arm. But if you run it under the arm to get rid of the bow, you really need to add an elbow. Otherwise, it really pulls uncomfortably on the mouth.

I'm just glad to see that folks are thinking about donating the primary...however they choose to route it. :D

H2Andy:
heck, the body wrap on the 7' hose works like a charm....

Big Chest eh?

H2Andy:
i tucked the excess hose into my cummerbund

I dive a 7ft hose on both twins and single tank. With the single I simply route the hose under my weight integration pouch and tuck any excess into my waist strap (or on a jacket BCD do like andy does and tuck it into the cummerbund)

Easy as Pi.

D_B:
Thank you StSomewhere , for the informative post
D_B, I copied the idea from UP who used a similar setup for a warmwater trip to (I think) Fiji. I can't imagine ever going back to the "old" way.

I did forget to mention the one downside, though. Without excess hose to stow, you don't get to participate in all the bungee-vs-wrap disagreements. :D

Stephen Ash:
Very simple. I just don't like the larger bow that the longer hose will give when routed over the arm. But if you run it under the arm to get rid of the bow, you really need to add an elbow. Otherwise, it really pulls uncomfortably on the mouth.
Here's my take on it.

Before I got the 90° elbow, I tried it WaywardSon's way in the pool (routed under the arm) and it actually worked OK. Then I got the elbow and tried it that way and, no contest, the elbow was far more comfortable without the "pull" and the hose routing was better as the hose naturally lays flatter down your chest and then under your arm. Plus, as I said before, donating a primary works more smoothly (the orientation is better and the length is more usable).

But don't take my word for it, try it in the water for yourself. The elbows are about $25 or $30. I wouldn't have guess the elbow would make such a difference until I tried it myself.

Either way, my feelings won't be hurt. I'm just offering ideas based on what's worked best for me (so far). :)

If you do use an elbow & route under your arm -clearly this is more streamlined- does that not pull down on the right side of the 2nd stage? Or is it just not noticable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom