Longer hose on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also , does that elbow have a swivel so counting the reg's swivel, you do have 2 axsses of movement ... up/down & left/right ? (I think this was answered before, but I want to make sure before I get the elbow)

DB

D_B:
Also , does that elbow have a swivel so counting the reg's swivel, you do have 2 axsses of movement ... up/down & left/right ? (I think this was answered before, but I want to make sure before I get the elbow)

DB

I should let StSomewhere repond since he has used this particular elbow...but...
in general, elbows are fixed and do not have a swivel...and that's why they are preferred over the innexpensive swivels that are prone to leaking.

However, the fitting at the end of the hose allows the elbow to spin in the same way that the fitting allows a reg to spin. At the other end of the elbow there is a fitting just like on the end of the hose. So...hose to elbow...spins in one axis...elbow to reg... spins in the other.

D_B:
I have a SP Mk18/G250 HP and a Knighthawk with the Air2
I want to put a longer hose on my primary to help facilitate sharing air (It's just barely long enough to get the job done now) and I have a choice of 6" longer (don't think that will make a lot of improvement) or at least a foot longer hose. I am leaning towards the longest one but I want to know if there are issues that I have not thought of
Can you see any drawback to having the longer hose ?

To accommodate, I switched my safe second from my right side to the left side of my BCD so that the regulator is facing the right direction when the need comes to give it to someone. I will not give up my primary.

I'm personally not a believer in longer hoses. All the setup needs to do is get you to the surface. If you start carrying around longer hoses, it's just one more thing that can get caught up, nevermind something that is long enough to strangle / tangle / confuse you in the right circumstances.

Canadian_Diver .... I have no octo , and If you have ever used the setup I have you would know why a slightly longer hose would be a good idea

Stephen Ash ... Makes sense to me , thanks :D

DB

D_B:
Canadian_Diver .... I have no octo , and If you have ever used the setup I have you would know why a slightly longer hose would be a good idea

DB, I'm more than willing to listen to your preferences with an open mind. Please, if you're willing, either continue with detail (send me a PM or in this thread) on how / why you setup your gear in a certain way. I always enjoy learning more, and if it makes sense for me I will try it, and in some cases, adopt it.

Sorry
In my first post of the question I said what gear I had and just thought most people with an opinion of hose length would know what I was talking about when I said I had an Air2 inflator on my BC (It has a built in regulator, so no octo needed) while there are some advantages to that , there are some disadvantages too that you had better understand and train for (one of which is the need to give your primary to your buddy in an OOA) ... so a longer hose would be helpful and would still be a good investment if/when I do get an octo in the future

DB

Canadian_Diver,

I think this is why D_B is looking for a little longer primary. In his case, if he were to need to share air he would pass off his primary and use the Air2 for himself. (The Air2 is an alterate air inflator, as I'm sure you know.) A standard length primary hose is just too short for this. Thus, his original question.

D_B:
I have a SP Mk18/G250 HP and a Knighthawk with the Air2
I want to put a longer hose on my primary to help facilitate sharing air (It's just barely long enough to get the job done now) and I have a choice of 6" longer (don't think that will make a lot of improvement) or at least a foot longer hose. I am leaning towards the longest one but I want to know if there are issues that I have not thought of
Can you see any drawback to having the longer hose ?

DB

We haven't conviced him to dump the Air2...not yet, anyways! :D

lol
If/when I do get an octo, I will probably bungie it to my neck in the "proper" fashion :wink:
but I won't be getting rid of the Air2 (seems like a nice reg too)
If/when I do get a BP/W , then away it will go with my knighthawk

I think the 40" hose with an elbow at my primary , is a good compromise for right now

DB

Back
Top Bottom