Longer hose on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite part about the bungee-it-to-the-tank method is that it requires you to know and be proficient at BOTH styles of stowing the long hose, and requires you to practice both ON THE SAME DIVE, and also requires you to switch from your "regular" way of diving to "the other" way of diving in the event that someone has an issue!

Brilliant!

jonnythan:
My favorite part about the bungee-it-to-the-tank method is that it requires you to know and be proficient at BOTH styles of stowing the long hose, and requires you to practice both ON THE SAME DIVE, and also requires you to switch from your "regular" way of diving to "the other" way of diving in the event that someone has an issue!

Brilliant!

Well yes it is an extremely complex series of procedures. You take your right hand and give the regulator to your buddy without the possibility of hose entanglement from the typical body coil.....

Then if you're in a course or practicing air share drills you need to wrap the hose around your body for the conclusion of the dive......

This procedure is not for the faint of heart. There are written procedures available for walking and chewing gum at the same time as well.

--Matt

matt_unique:
Well yes it is an extremely complex series of procedures. You take your right hand and give the regulator to your buddy without the possibility of hose entanglement from the typical body coil.....

Then if you're in a course or practicing air share drills you need to wrap the hose around your body for the conclusion of the dive......

This procedure is not for the faint of heart. There are written procedures available for walking and chewing gum at the same time as well.

--Matt
I still haven't figured out how you're getting your 'wrapped' hose tangled up on anything....???

(Unless you're diving with 14 helmet-mounted lights.....but we won't mention that....:wink: )

jonnythan:

Brilliant!
Still no answer on why can't the buddy restow the hose if needed?

matt_unique:

--Matt
Your sarcasm is almost amusing, but two things come to mind.

1) You totally gloss over the fact that your way requires the diver to learn and be comfortable with BOTH methods, whereas the more common 'our' way requires the diver to use only the one way exclusively all of the time (with no major advantage to your way, mind you)

2) In a stressful situation like an OOA, every little bit of unnecessary complexity is a huge deal and you don't have the processing power to overcome the built-up muscle memory.

When the cards are all down, you *will* revert to what you know best. I remember seeing it in my DIRF classes... we do frog kicks and exclusively and stay horizontal all weekend but when someone flashes OOA everyone does a flutter kick and tends to go heads-up. When the stuff is really hitting the fan, you really don't want to have to think and remember that you're suddenly going to do something *different* with that hose.

This stuff matters, and, let me repeat, there is no reason on earth to bungee the hose to the tank. It has nothing but downsides.

This is what comes to mind when you talk about a bungied hose and it does not seam to pose such a deploymant problem as long as you've done it before (and in this pic, even if you did not pull it out before handing it off, It doesant look any shorter than the hose that I'm dealing with now) ... http://data2.itc.nps.gov/submerged/dispproj.cfm?alphacode=LAME as to restowing it , ether the emergancy has taken you to the surface and the dive is over ... or you can wrap, or rebungie , as you didn't have an emergancy, just a problem and that fan aint spinning cr*p any more
(I can see that deploying the hose if It's goes around the back of your neck would be different,I can see it would be more important to deploy it first before handing it off, cause it may not be usable if just handed off, I don't know, don't have any experiance with it or seen it used)

Again, thanks for the info , but no need to get wrangled, we all love diving safely and have some strong opinions about it
DB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom