Longer hose on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbsaw:
... The bungy set up just seems like an entaglement..

We disagree here.....the body wrap is a much greater entanglement hazzard than the bungie method. I have never seen a bungied hose entangle and I have many times seen a hose get snagged while doing air share drills with the body wrap. The bungie also reduces the clutter around your body by way of the hose.

--Matt

matt_unique:
We disagree here.....the body wrap is a much greater entanglement hazzard than the bungie method. I have never seen a bungied hose entangle and I have many times seen a hose get snagged while doing air share drills with the body wrap. The bungie also reduces the clutter around your body by way of the hose.

--Matt
I have to disagree here.

How can having 2 or 3 loops of inner tube around your tank, with a 7' hose looped inside of that, with the reg coming out somewhere in that, be more streamlined than having no inner tube, the hose flat against your body, and the reg in your mouth? And if the hose gets snagged on deployment, it's because you didn't stow it right, not because it's wrapped.

teknitroxdiver:
I have to disagree here.

How can having 2 or 3 loops of inner tube around your tank, with a 7' hose looped inside of that, with the reg coming out somewhere in that, be more streamlined than having no inner tube, the hose flat against your body, and the reg in your mouth? And if the hose gets snagged on deployment, it's because you didn't stow it right, not because it's wrapped.
Not sure if you're kidding or not, but you may need to change your screen name if you aren't.
diverfront.jpg

There is only one loop of bungee on the backup reg and the primary simply rests above that. There is no looping going on here. :D

D_B:
Stephen Ash ... thanks , I llike the idea of the swivel (a well engineered one like KM) on a long hose better than the elbow.
I think that a swivel and running it under my arm is what I will do
I have my primary on a 40" hose routed under my arm (with a bungeed backup). This is strictly for OW diving -- not appropriate for tech diving -- but I think thats what you were asking.

I'll offer some advice from my experience from using this configuration for the past couple of months, you can take it or leave it.

First, instead of a 360° swivel, consider a 90° elbow. The elbow will give you two separate but complementary axis (axises? axii?) of rotation. So the reg already has a rotation up/down (all regs do). Then the 90° elbow will give you another rotation left/right. The combination of the two rotations is perfect for a reg that will normally be your primary and it spins around perfectly if you donate it for an OOG. Plus IRL it really never winds up in an odd orientation. Here is the Zeagle elbow I use, Larry can order it if you can't find it elsewhere. Zeagle Elbow, Zeagle part #340-1003.

Second, 40" routed under your arm is a good length to deal with. It's long enough without being too long for underarm routing. You can swim side by side (donating diver on the left works best but isn't essential), and 40" is about the minimum length you'd want for that situation. After testing this in a pool, I definitely understand the DIR tech method (5'/6'/7' wrapped hose) because more is better in an OOG. I'll probably go to this at some point, if only to get a better feel for deploying with the wrapping method, but 40" works fine for OW for the time being. As it turns out, 40" hoses are easy to find, because its the standard length hose for a stage bottle. And if you go tech later, that hose isn't a throwaway.

Third, having that primary on a 40" hose will be a pain suiting up, your reg will either lay on the floor of the boat and get smashed, or it will drag in the muck for shore diving. This would be even worse with a longer hose. So I keep my primary clipped off on my right D-ring until I'm ready to hit the water. DIR divers do this with an attached bolt snap with cave line where the the reg attachment meets the air hose (link to GI3's setup). Right now I'm using a DiveRite Octopus Holder to clip off the primary when suiting up, etc. I keep the holder itself attached to my right D-ring pretty much at all times, the reg mouthpiece goes in and out of the bungee only out of the water. I tried to leave it attached around the mouthpiece for diving but the plastic bolt snap winds up too close to the mouthpiece. Anything that gets in my way is bad enough, but it was a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot in a test OOG, so I changed that right away! The DIR/tech way with the bolt snap and cave line seems better since the attachment is far enough away that the bolt snap isn't near the mouthpiece and the mouthpiece doesn't get stressed unnecessarily. FWIW, the bungee on my DR "octo holder" is already showing wear after a couple months. I'll have to try the DIR way in the water with the elbow before deciding, but I suspect -- like most of what they do -- they do it because it works.

Last, the bungeed backup is *great* in the water (which is the real test) but you'll need to lose your snorkel or trade it for a pocket snorkel. As much as I really like this configuration (the bungeed backup), even without the snorkel I find its adds yet-another-step for donning/doffing your BC or BP, and with a snorkel you basically need to remove your mask before you can take off your backup, and I prefer to leave my mask on. Personal preference, yada yada yada. Truth be told, I hate long surface swims anyway and do them on my back where possible, so this really wasn't a hard adjustment to make.

Anyway, just my two psi, YMMV, etc, etc, etc. As I'm sure you know, whatever you decide on, its better to decide in the water than on dry land. :)

I am a recreational diver with close to the same setup (MK 20 instead of MK 18). I use a ScubaPro 39 in hose (octo hose) with a 120 degree elbow instead of the normal 29 in primary hose. It travels under my arm. I have been using this for about 5 years.

Thank you StSomewhere , for the informative post
I didn't think of the 90* elbow because I didn't know that it had a swivel in it as well. All you need is up/down and left/right movement, to work and an elbow is probably less expensive as well as maybe stronger than a swivel , and a 40" hose is simple to come by

You guy's are a plethora of information and I really do appreciate it

DB

teknitroxdiver:
How do you re-stow it after your buddy needs your air for a moment, but then solves his problem and doesn't need your long hose anymore?
Why do you guys think it is so hard for the buddy to restow a hose?

MaxBottomtime:
Not sure if you're kidding or not, but you may need to change your screen name if you aren't.
diverfront.jpg

There is only one loop of bungee on the backup reg and the primary simply rests above that. There is no looping going on here. :D
I was talking about the dude with the stuffed hose, not the 'real' way to do it....

wedivebc:
Why do you guys think it is so hard for the buddy to restow a hose?

If a diver has 5 ft of hose coiled up in a bungy cord around his tank, how is he supposed to re-stow it?? If that same diver is consistenatly stowing his hose in his waist belt clear of his weight belt, deployment and re-stowing are fast, efficient and clean. There is no better system for an OOA situation..

PerroneFord:
And you want someone who has to practice OOA stuff? Didn't you read the last thread on this?? Self-sufficiency is key. You can't rely on your buddy. He may be off practicing with that cute chic from the dive shop, when you need gas.

Well shame on me for not being with my buddy... Self sufficiency is great, but why not ALWAYS increase you chances for good life support.. Diving alone is kind of like crossing the street without looking both ways first....Eventually you will get hit...

matt_unique:

--Matt

If a proper modified s-drill is completed before entering the water, you will not have any issues...

I would love to see a picture of the primary all wrapped and bugied to the tank.. I just dont get it..

Back
Top Bottom