Longer hose on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd consider the 5ft hose as Doc Intrepid suggests. If it's longer than a standard hose, but not much longer, you'll route it the same way as you do now, only it will tend to push the reg out of your mouth and be somewhat of a bigger entanglement hazard and general PITA. If you go the full five feet you can run it under your arm as explained and it will not give you any jaw fatigue; pretty important consideration IMO. And, of course, it'll be easier and safer all around if (when) you have to deal with a panicking OOA diver.

As far as the reg's breathing, there's no drawback to having a longer hose; if anything, it increases the volume of IP air in the reg, and helps it to breath easier.

I was counting on the swivel on the first stage to take care of regulator hose push , but now you've given me more to think about , I can see how the 5' hose may be the way to go

I can't imagine the G250 breathing any easier , and even the Air2 breathed easier than the rental regs , but nice to know , thanks

DB

You'll need to manage the excess hose length. Many do a neck and body wrap. I prefer to bungie the excess to the ride side of my tank. Stow the hose in an S pattern (but sideways of course) under two bungie loops snug against your tank. Clean and out of the way.

If you deploy to practice or for a course you will need to finish your dive using the body wrap. In most cases during a real air share emergency you are surfacing with your buddy breathing off the long hose reg anyway.

--Matt

IMO, matt's idea is terrible. It's two different methods you have to learn, you will end up diving both ways, and it will discourage you from EVER deploying the long hose to make sure it's clear and deployable. You should deploy the long hose on EVERY dive before you get into the water to make sure it's free.

The body wrap on the 5' hose works like a charm.

jonnythan:

heck, the body wrap on the 7' hose works like a charm. i dove that
configuration with an Oceanic Probe while doing my cavern class

i tucked the excess hose into my cummerbund, and donating the hose
became a two-step process:

1. primary to victim; establish he's ok

2. deploy full hose by pulling out of cummerbund

and voila...

jonnythan:
... You should deploy the long hose on EVERY dive before you get into the water to make sure it's free.

If it works like a charm, why do you need to test it every time to make sure it's free?

The bungie method works every time from day 1 without any opportunity for entanglement because it's just sliding around the side of your wing/bc. The body wrap is not hard, just not my preference for the very reasons you state above.

--Matt

D_B,

Just grab an standard octo hose...length will be around 40 inches...and substitute it for the hose that is currently on your primary reg. Then get an elbow to put on where the hose meets the second stage. (Don't get a swivel...unless you are willing to buy a very nice one like a KM) Then you can route your primary comfortably under your right arm.

The bungie method works every time from day 1 without any opportunity for entanglement because it's just sliding around the side of your wing/bc. The body wrap is not hard, just not my preference for the very reasons you state above.

How do you re-stow it after your buddy needs your air for a moment, but then solves his problem and doesn't need your long hose anymore?

teknitroxdiver:
How do you re-stow it after your buddy needs your air for a moment, but then solves his problem and doesn't need your long hose anymore?

Body wrap if for some reason you need to restow - such as a class or for practice. It's not hard just not my preference because it's not as clean. In a real world situation, you are most likely going to the surface or your first stop.

--Matt

matt_unique:
Body wrap if for some reason you need to restow - such as a class or for practice. It's not hard just not my preference because it's not as clean. In a real world situation, you are most likely going to the surface or your first stop.

--Matt

In a real world situation, I am going to supply my buddy with gas, and end the dive. but with the seven foot hose, we are going to attempt to get to the up line and complete all stops, as we are always diving the rule of thirds, and that leaves plenty of gas in the donors tank to fix any problems or safely accend. The bungy set up just seems like an entaglement.. In a proper buddy check before entering, and completing a modified s-drill, to make sure the primary hose is tucked behind your head and in the belt of your backplate, if you do not have a canister light to wrap it around.. No problems. If you will tuck it after practicing s-drills, why not tuck it all the time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom