Longer hose on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how much????

...don't ask...don't ask...don't ask...

...no...I got to...

What's a Ferret?

Wayward Son:
Why should they?

I don't know...but I've got 3 of 'em in a box in the back of the scuba closet...along with a bunch of other stuff that I no longer use.

1954 British Ferret , 9,000 lb , 50 mph-forward and reverse, armored scout/recon car was so well built that they were still using a version in desert storm

$9,000 before we restored it , repainted in British med.sandstone (as they were used in op desert storm) , inside repainted , radio gear, all new external stores , new Rolls Royce eng ... don't think anything less than 20,000 would get it out of our hands now
Use it in parades (or joyriding) Driving it is probably the most fun you can have out of the water

DB

Edit: boy, I'm glad this is my thread that I highjacked :11:

Wayward Son:
If you do use an elbow & route under your arm -clearly this is more streamlined- does that not pull down on the right side of the 2nd stage? Or is it just not noticable?
Not noticeable. Actually, not just "not noticeable" but almost not there. Total freedom to look left/right/up/down. I tried it with a 36" octo hose in the pool, it wasn't quite long enough, the key is the 40" hose IMO.

Stephen Ash:
I should let StSomewhere repond since he has used this particular elbow...but...
in general, elbows are fixed and do not have a swivel...and that's why they are preferred over the innexpensive swivels that are prone to leaking.
It helps that the pivot is identical to the normal rotation, the pivot doesn't make the hose pull away at an odd angle like the Trident 360° I tried. This also feels much more solid than the 360°, but that could be subjective.

The other issue is that if the elbow was fixed you'd have to get the "end" of the threads to line up perfectly with the threads on the second stage or you might have a 90° angle coming up or straight out or ??? Either way, there's no getting around the fact that this elbow adds one o-ring to the equation.

Stephen Ash:
However, the fitting at the end of the hose allows the elbow to spin in the same way that the fitting allows a reg to spin. At the other end of the elbow there is a fitting just like on the end of the hose. So...hose to elbow...spins in one axis...elbow to reg... spins in the other.
Exactly. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a link to my TX50 and 90° elbow.

All regulator hoses have a built-in pivot that normally allows the second stage to pivot vertically (mouthpiece up/down). In this case the hose attaches to the bottom of the elbow, so the pivot is "around" (left/right). The elbow then has its own built-in pivot at the knurled section (with a std 9/16" wrench fitting) between the elbow and the regulator. This mimics the vertical pivot (up/down) you expect on any "normal" regulator via the normal regulator hose.

Sorry about the *bright* yellow cover in the pic. :crafty: There are no DIR divers around here, so I thought making the primary be bright yellow and the backup basic black would telegraph which reg gets donated. I have extra blue and black covers too, I think its a sign of some sort of sickness... :wink:

The scratches are from not keeping the reg clipped off when not in use, a 40" hose is about the perfect length for a really hard impact if you let your second stage drop. :11:

StSomewhere:
The other issue is that if the elbow was fixed you'd have to get the "end" of the threads to line up perfectly with the threads on the second stage or you might have a 90° angle coming up or straight out or ??? Either way, there's no getting around the fact that this elbow adds one o-ring to the equation.

Right. What I meant by fixed was the bend of the elbow is fixed...90 degrees, 120 degrees, or whatever and that angle doesn't change like on a swivel. It still spins on the hose fitting while the reg spins at the other end.

Thank you StSomewhere , that is exactly the info. that I (we) needed. about the movement of the elbow and the correct hose length to use
I do not see any disadvantages with the setup as you discribed , only advanatages ... thanks

DB

Well, I decided to give it a try. My LDS didn't have a 90, but they did have a 120 degree connector made by Scubapro so I picked one up last time. At $22.00 it's not a terribly expensive thing to try out. I suspect that I will like having the hose closer in with the underarm routing.

Just an update: I had a 42" hose made and a 90* elbow put on but the elbow my LDS used did not swivel (???) so he put on one of those chrome swivels ... nope , no way I was going to try it out after all the posts here ... So I orderd a M&J Engineering swivel from Amron International ... great price $42.81 but min. order is $50 so I opted for 8 cyalume light stick for 96c each ... total order was $50.49 , no shipping charge ... did not have in stock but Jacquie expedited my order and was a pleasure doing buisness with her :D
I recomend them ... http://www.amronintl.com

DB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom