Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

I prefer diving Monastery beach in Carmel, but hey, to each his own.

SNIPPED

BTW, Doppler, what we are doing is the opposite of what you are criticising in such a hilarious way. We are actually exploring the reasons behind the rules, as opposed to blindly accepting them. If we were, then this thread would have ended with me making a one line post "because Trey said so".

Not being critical. Glad you found my story hilarious... it is true. Also glad you're asking questions and searching for answers... that's the Hogarthian Way.

Doppler

P.S. Never been to Carmel... do they let non-christians dive there?

patmandu once bubbled...
That's a good question that I don't think anyone really has an answer to.

I understand and agree with 99.9% of what DIR is and why things are the way they are in the system. And, I try my best to not stray from the system, as deviating from one thing causes CF's with other things.

That being said, I'm stumped why this is a big issue. Maybe it comes down to the fact that in a 100% DIR world you would never have to go to your clipped off long hose or donate it once it was parked and you were breathing off another bottle. But unfortunately I don't live in that DIR utopia.

I dive with students and I dive off boats that have recreational divers on them. I want to have the option to be able to deploy the long hose to anyone who might need gas in an instant. I don't want to be fooling around trying to unclip the hose during a higher stress event. Having the option of 'breaking away' the longhose is important to me. Additonally, in a DIR environment I have always pictured the possibility of being at my 20ft stop on 02 and having one of my buddies either lose buoyancy or have a problem on O2, in this case I want my long hose primary in his face in a heartbeat. I don't want to be thinking about unclipping and donating, I want to be thinking about sticking the regulator in his face.

What I don't get is why people think the o-ring is so flimsy and insecure and is prone to breaking. Have you ever tried to break one away? It takes some dedicated force and effort to break it. It's not going to just snap because you brush against it.

--Pat

Ya know, it's kind of refreshing to read someone actually thinking and reasoning through the logic behind why they do something a certain way. A breakaway on the primary makes a lot of sense to me.

Regarding the specific type of breakaway attachment to use, I currently have an o-ring, but I like the way that my wife has her primary rigged. She uses the smallest, thinnest type of zip-tie which stays nicely on the crimp-ridge of the hose, and still easy to break. My o-ring has a tendency to slip down the hose occasionally, so I may add a zip-tie through the o-ring. I think it would be easier to re-rig that way (don't have to remove the second stage), and still breakaway.

My SPG is connected with a thick zip-tie and cave line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom