Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan,

Yes -- you're correct on attaching the O-ring (although as Wendy points out, there are multiple ways of attaching it).

I use the way you have suggested as illustrated in the link below. Note that you need a larger size O-ring (I use one about the size of a quarter).

I'll also add my comment to those already offered -- once you get a clip on your primary hose, you won't notice it.

Good luck.

http://www.northeastdir.com/primaryoringclip.htm

I concur that you'll never feel the bolt snap. As for attaching snaps to equipment, there are two methods, break away, and permanent. IMO the long hose does not need a breakaway, so cave line is the way to go. The SPG DOES need a breakaway, so go with the O-ring method. Actually, for a while I was using a piece of innertube as the breakaway. It lasts longer. The O-rings would always break.

As I have always known 'cave line' (I jump but I definitely don't cave).

Given that the para cord is kind of permanent (I cannot see the need for a breakaway here as it is only for on-deck management) it strikes me that the zip tie is the easiest way to go.

Why on the hose rather than the crimp? It would seem that this would adversley load the hose / crimp interface on deck.

Perhaps it would be useful to provide some reasons for breakaway vs. non-breakaway...;-)

I feel that having the primary clip set-up "breakaway" style is important, since if you have an emergency where you need to switch back to it underwater while it is clipped off, you can always just break it off. I can see the need for this in various scenarios (I dive almost all cold water with heavy gloves, which affects my decision on this). Durability is one downside as mentioned above, although I have not had one break (I usually replace the O-ring at the beginning of each dive season).

I guess I could go both ways on the SPG (I have mine attached with cave line). Although you may need to get it free in an entanglement situation, the need to get it free would not be so urgent, making cave line adequate (since you can cut it free).

My $0.02.

What are the circumstances where I might have my primary clipped off in the water?

I seem to be in one of two conditions a) breathing it or b) donating it.

Am I missing something (important...)?

Grajan once bubbled...
What are the circumstances where I might have my primary clipped off in the water?

I seem to be in one of two conditions a) breathing it or b) donating it.

Am I missing something (important...)?

Stage bottles and Deco bottles that you are breathing off of or if you are in a OOA situation and are breathing your buddies air.

Chad

Grajan once bubbled...
First two don't apply but the third one makes sense.

but those were the ones off the top of my head......they don't apply to me either. :)

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom