Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would have it clipped off while you are on the boat or transporting your gear so it doesn't get stepped on or smashed.

Grajan once bubbled...
But at that time a breakaway may be more of a problem than a benefit.

When doing the benefits analysis for any piece of gear or gear mod, the primary question (and there are several more to follow) is usually: "Is this a benefit on the surface or is it a benefit when I am diving." The smarter money tends to be on the stuff that falls into the latter category... well, for dive gear.

Primary reg is clipped off during deco (when you're "finished" with your back gas and are breathing from a different reg.) Nice and neat, nothing to catch on the way back up the ladder. Etc. Etc.

When we do our valve drills, we clip off the primary to the right d-ring while breathing off the bungee'd reg. If for some reason your backup fails, or you can't get the valve on, it's REALY nice to have the primary on a breakaway.

You can breathe the primary when it is clipped off. Try it.

Breakaways are not necessary.

detroit diver once bubbled...
When we do our valve drills, we clip off the primary to the right d-ring while breathing off the bungee'd reg. If for some reason your backup fails, or you can't get the valve on, it's REALY nice to have the primary on a breakaway.

THREAD HI-JACKED!

Hey Detroit... how come those random sentances mentioned in your signature often make sense? Is this like the infinite number of monkeys at some point typing the complete works of shakespeare or is this different? =-)

Munin once bubbled...

I know you can. I just don't like to!:)

Doppler once bubbled...

THREAD HI-JACKED!

Hey Detroit... how come those random sentances mentioned in your signature often make sense? Is this like the infinite number of monkeys at some point typing the complete works of shakespeare or is this different? =-)

Random. Completely random.

I haven't finished the Shakespeare works yet....

large_diver once bubbled...
Perhaps it would be useful to provide some reasons for breakaway vs. non-breakaway...;-)

I feel that having the primary clip set-up "breakaway" style is important, since if you have an emergency where you need to switch back to it underwater while it is clipped off, you can always just break it off.

I guess I could go both ways on the SPG (I have mine attached with cave line). Although you may need to get it free in an entanglement situation, the need to get it free would not be so urgent, making cave line adequate (since you can cut it free).

My $0.02.

You definitely need a breakaway on the SPG. It's pretty common to get it tangled, and you do need to know how much gas you have. Also, I wouldn't want to go near that hose with my knife unless absolutely necessary. Another problem with it is that you can't see it to sort out any problems.

Munin once bubbled...

I agree. Also, there are really no situations where you need to break it away. If you are doing drills, then simply turn your backup back on.

Grajan once bubbled...
Given that the para cord is kind of permanent (I cannot see the need for a breakaway here as it is only for on-deck management) it strikes me that the zip tie is the easiest way to go.

Why on the hose rather than the crimp? It would seem that this would adversley load the hose / crimp interface on deck.

Zip tie is a breakaway, not a permanent connection. Simply twist the hose and the zip tie will pop. Zip ties in this situation do not last as long as O-rings, because it's too easy to twist them off.

To attach the O-ring to the spg simpy remove the spg from the hose (or the hose from the 1st stage), bend the O-ring around the bolt snap, and run the hose through the two loops of the o-ring. Reassemble the hose and you are done.

I wouldn't use a breakaway where you don't need one, since this increases the likleyhood of dangling hoses and the accompanying entanglement hazard/reef damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom