long hose + bungeed octo for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far too many divers heading off to their LDS buying a BP and wing , ditching their computer consoles and attaching a SPG and putting one or two computers on their wrists, wrapping a 7' hose , bungeeing the octo , looking in the mirror thinking " I look like a 2008 tech diver... I must be one".

When I dress up in my scuba gear and look in the mirror. my wife and daughters laugh at me and make jokes:D

When I dress up in my scuba gear and look in the mirror. my wife and daughters laugh at me and make jokes

Originally Posted by Bismark
You dress up in your scuba gear and look in the mirror? :)

You don't?!?!?!

Where did you guys get trained???? Mirrors are for signaling, not fashion shows.

Oh yeah, love the long 'n' bungied for rec.

I think the long hose & bungee set up is great for a new diver but I'm not sure about breaking up the console.

I dive with the computer on my right wrist, compass on the left wrist and SPG on my left hip d-ring but for a new diver I think this is would create a task loading situation. It's probably better to leave it all on the console until you are more comfortable with diving. Especially your air consumption and buoyancy.

I think the long hose & bungee set up is great for a new diver but I'm not sure about breaking up the console.

I dive with the computer on my right wrist, compass on the left wrist and SPG on my left hip d-ring but for a new diver I think this is would create a task loading situation. It's probably better to leave it all on the console until you are more comfortable with diving. Especially your air consumption and buoyancy.

I imagine there are scenarios where either rigging may have benfits or detriments. My 15 year old daughter will be diving in Cozumel with me this November. She will be switching from standard console to R/wrist computer-L/wrist compass D-ringed SPG. The main reason is we feel it will be easier for her to maintain depth on the safety stop checking the comp on her wrist rather than holding a console (though she won't be doing the long primary/bungied secondary yet). Having seen way too many unrestrained octos and consoles dragging across corals, I am all for streamlining.

Put the compass and computer on the same wrist. Or put bungees on the compass, put it over your hand. No probs whatsoever, easy reference to both depth and heading at all times.

As for the SPG, that can be clipped to the chest D-ring. Then it's easily visible at all times.

If my kids get into diving I will probably have them attach the console to a retractable line on their harness until they have their air consumption and buoyancy figured out. When they've got everything pretty much dialed in I would swap them over to wrist mount and clipped SPG.

I find your suggestion about clipping the SPG to the chest d-ring interesting. I can see mine on the hip but it's not ideal. It might interfere with the BCD hose but I might try it once on the chest to see if I like it there.

I find your suggestion about clipping the SPG to the chest d-ring interesting. I can see mine on the hip but it's not ideal. It might interfere with the BCD hose but I might try it once on the chest to see if I like it there.

It actually works very well. Put the hose under your arm and tie it off a few inches from the spg. Just glance down to see your pressure. No need to hold or unclip anything.

Not exactly DIR and not the best for hovering 2 inches off a silty bottom but great for new divers in open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom