long hose + bungeed octo for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that struck me was the issue with the hose potentially getting tangled in the snorkel. My SO and I always wear our snorkels on our masks. It wouldn't be a big deal for me to get one that stores in a pocket because I always surface with plenty of air, but my SO/dive buddy goes through his air a LOT more quickly than me, so he will generally use his snorkel on the surface predive while we are waiting for other divers and the DM to get into the water and set to descend if we are in a group on a led dive. Thoughts on how big of a problem this might be?
P-cod:dork2:

Fair question. When I started out, I would be very proactive about switching to my snorkel whenever on the surface, to conserve every last psi. When I went long hose I got a pocket snorkel, but I regard it as safety equipment, like my signal sausage. I have never actually deployed it other than as a test/drill.

Part of the adaption is that I'm not quite the air hog I was initially. That seems to be a common experience, that SAC rate goes down with - well, experience. But let's accept that your buddy will always be behind you sac-rate-wise, and therefore will continue to want to stop breathing his reg on the surface, both pre- and post-dive.

What I've found is that I have gotten comfortable breathing at the surface without a snorkel, as long as my BC is inflated and the seas are calm. Just takes a little getting used to having your face washed over with salt water between breaths, but it's not hard. just another thing about diving that takes some getting used to.

For rougher seas or protracted unplanned wet surface intervals, that's why I still carry a pocket snorkel. My hope is I'll never actually need it. Here on SB there have been raging debates about whether even a pocket snorkel makes sense - why would you ever need it? I feel more comfortable knowing it's there.

..and i feel more comfortable knowing im not carrying a useless bit of gear :)

I think i'll stop it here though as this thread will deteriorate FAST.

..and i feel more comfortable knowing im not carrying a useless bit of gear :)

I think i'll stop it here though as this thread will deteriorate FAST.

yeah...there are plenty of snorkel bashing threads here! :eyebrow:

I got a rolly-up one and keep it in my pocket with my back up light. Haven't had the need to use it, but i's there if I need it. (it also pleases the instructors at my LDS if I'm tagging along on cert dives to work on my skills while they are teaching)

Anyway...As mentioned, lot's of people keep their "octos" in different places, regardless of the "triangle" theory. Mine was in a bad place if needed, and now with it under my chinny chin chin, it's easy to place, find, and use if necessary. Practice deploying it and when it happens you won't get caught off guard.

(goes for using a pony bottle and switching regs. shooting a bag/sausage. etc...)

What else do you do on safety stops to stay interested? (ok, there's a guy at my local quarry that makes rock sculptures :rofl3:)

. . . Here's my question: is there any reason NOT to use this setup for recreational diving?

Apparently not! As a new diver I just heard a few prima facie arguments against, even through in a couple of my own. But the rebuttals to those arguments are just to convincing and the reasons to use one just to solid . . It looks like my buddy/wife and I will be trying it out.

Any suggestions on brands of hose? Miflex maybe?

Some people dont like the miflex 7ft hose as its a little "floaty" and doesnt grip as well so stay stuffed as well under a light or in a belt. 5ft maybe better as it doesnt require stuffing or putting under anything.

Other than that, a hose is a hose.

(ive got miflex hoses on everything EXCEPT my 7ft hose)

As a relatively inexperienced diver myself if I were to find myself on group trust me dive, I might be a bit concerned that the rookie tech wannabe that I'm instabuddied with may look the part but nothing more. If I have an issue I have to get his attention and hope he reacts appropriately. Let's not always assume that the guy with the long hose and bungied reg has his act together all the time either.
Grab it out of his mouth, it's real easy....

Anyone else have a problem with this logic?
Absolutely not.

I dive this configuration and only dive recreational.

Since you probably won't have a canister light to wrap the long hose around you should attach your back up light to the RHS d-ring DIR style. (bolt snap and elastic) This allows you to tuck the long hose under the head of the light just above your right hip.

As for the length of the hose that depends on your body size. Just mock up the hose routing with a rope and decide if you need a 5ft or 6ft hose.

I should have been clear that I'm using a 5 foot hose on my rec setup. I just switched to a Miflex hose and it wraps nice'n clean.

Henrik

Far too many divers heading off to their LDS buying a BP and wing , ditching their computer consoles and attaching a SPG and putting one or two computers on their wrists, wrapping a 7' hose , bungeeing the octo , looking in the mirror thinking " I look like a 2008 tech diver... I must be one".

Back
Top Bottom