logging pool dives....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Srrh:
Hello y'all,

2 days ago, I went to the pool with my buddy: we had new equiment to test...
We've spent about 1h15 minutes underwater, 15 feet, testing everything (perfect weight distribution) and even, practicing a few basics (OOA etc..)

Should I log it...?

Of course you should log it.

I assume you learned something by messing with new gear for 75 minutes, what better place to record your learnings. If you feel like it wasn't legitimate then don't increment your dive count.

Your log is your documentation of what you have learned, experienced and enjoyed. If anyone ever needs to review it, like for a higher certification they can always elect to not count those dives.

Pete

Srrh:
Should I log it...?

Wow... looks like it's all been said... guess I won't post my two psi worth...

... oh... heck... yea' I will.

Depends on how you use your log... there are, as has already been pointed out... lots of answers. I log my pool dives because I want to remember practice notes, equipment check notes and stuff like that... if, of course, the pool has water in it. I also log em' because my dive computer logs it... and, because I'm workin' on being an "older guy" and the memory ain't what it used to be... (I think...)...

Interesting question though... never really gave it much thought 'til ya' asked... thanks.

I spend too much time in the pool to log the dives. I feel my dive log is for open water dives only...but to each their own. As has been said...just don't expect them to count towards your dive total.

Cheers,
Austin

If I logged pool dives, I'd probably have 200-300 pool dives now...so no I don't log pool dives.

SparticleBrane:
If I logged pool dives, I'd probably have 200-300 pool dives now...so no I don't log pool dives.

If those are instructional dives I agree, there is probably not much new learning going on there for you. The bottom line IMO is that it's the divers prerogative.

Pete

If you feel the need to log pool dives, then please do! No harm, no foul.

There are many pages in my logbook. Charts, contacts, dive sites, class rosters, pool sessions, expenses, weighting chart, maintenance schedule, and, logged dives. Pool sessions are in there as records of skills taught and student performance, but not as "dives."
So I'd say put it in your logbook, just don't give it a number.
Rick

Very interesting thread with a lot of great responses. I have not logged pool time because I just looked upon it as practice, kind of like a golfer going to the driving range.

My computer naturally logs pool time as dives (it's smart but it doesn't know the difference between seawater and chlorine) but I have always just deleted those files.

But some of the reasons given for recording pool time make sense. Clearly, if I start recording pool time I would do it in a log seperate from open water dives, and only for the purposes of documenting equipment configurations and skills practiced.

Mountain Dog

Pool or confined water dives do not count when you go for Divemaster or Instructor training where a minimum number of open water dives are required. Also, they do not count for experience ratings such as SSI's Century Diver.

However, as has been stated, log dives that are unusual or mean something to you and you want to remember. Chamber rides, tech orientations where you wear commercial stuff, dives in the Disney aquarium, dives in any aquarium. Anything that is special - log it.

I personally don't log pool dives because I do up to six a week when classes are in swing. If you want to remember these as experience keep two sections in your book and log them separate from open water.

Remember the rules -

The new diver logs all their dives with all the smallest details.
The experienced diver logs who slept with whom on what trip.
The very experienced diver writes - See dive number 846 - Feb 64.

Back
Top Bottom