logging pool dives....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
It's completely up to you. I think if you ask yourself, "Why am I logging my dives?", the answer will present itself.
This is exactly what I think about it. My instructor told me to log any dive that I wanted to remember, "The log book is for your personal use". I don't log pool seesions personally.

Srrh:
We've spent about 1h15 minutes underwater, 15 feet, testing everything (perfect weight distribution) and even, practicing a few basics (OOA etc..)

Should I log it...?
Where else do you intend to write down the info on weighting and weight distribution? Sure, go ahead and log all that info for future reference.

Now, whether or not it counts as a dive is a different question. :)

If a dive charter operator asks "How many dives have you done?", they are generally trying to get a crude measure of your experience level. Misleading them by quoting some huge number of dives, most of which have been in a pool, isn't really a good idea.

Charlie Allen

Local PSD group requires that some pool dives be logged and signed off by team leader. These dives are training dives, that are required for insurance and currency requirements. Most are with blacked out mask. I guess these are a special case.

I don't log pool dives myself...

Wow, I'm surprised by the variety of answers. I'd say go by the Padi definition if you ever decide to go pro. I'd really feel silly jumping on a boat and having the captian laugh at me when he sees pool dives logged. I might keep a small note on a log page about weight, ect used in the pool but that's it.

As others have said, it's your log book. It's not a legal document. You can write whatever you want, in the format that you like.

That being said, it may very well be requested by a dive boat. So if you're going to log a pool dive because you felt it was important go right ahead... just don't number it and count it towards your dive experience when people ask you about it.

Since you're not numbering them, the whole pro count becomes a non issue.

Nemrod:
I tried my UDT fins and new Atlantis mask in the bathtub. I was in for about 30 minutes, should I log it? Oh, nevermind, I forgot, I don't log dives. N

Is everyone here talking about the same pool? Are we talking about 4' deep hotel pools? Any body of water with chlorine? If you were in Maui and you went diving at the "7 pools," would you log that? The pool I dive in is a 14' deep Olympic sized pool, and I am generally underwater for between 2 and 3 hours. That's a far cry from 30 minutes in a bathtub. If I were to go to the Caribbean, swim out to a depth of 12 feet, and practice my stuff there.. THAT would be a dive. BUT, Apparently the same in a pool is not??? :huh: :D I'm not going to get hung up on technicalities. I dive to have fun, and my log book will reflect that.

Don Wray:
NO....If you decide later to go pro, I say NO

Why exactly? With several hundred dives, most in the 80-250' range, I fail to see how logging a few (I've logged 3) fun, key, or cool pool dives is an issue. Especially when PADI requires so few dives to "go pro." (60 logged dives to become an instructor.) Would my certifying agency or instructor look at my log book and say :confused: YOU LOGGED A POOL DIVE!? YOU FAIL! Is it a question of being embarrassed to show your log book? I feel no shame by sharing what I learned, who won the UNO match, or how many rounds of underwater marco-polo we played on a particular pool dive.

rakkis:
That being said, it may very well be requested by a dive boat. So if you're going to log a pool dive because you felt it was important go right ahead... just don't number it and count it towards your dive experience when people ask you about it.

Since you're not numbering them, the whole pro count becomes a non issue.

An excellent idea. My dive software automatically numbers everything though, so I'm kind of stuck. I don't think that three logged pool dives out of a few hundred will change the boat operator's mind in regards to my skill level or allowing me to dive.

I do see the point, however (as I said in my previous post), that using the pool dives to give people the impression that you have more experience than you actually do, is a BAD idea. With that said, "number of dives" is a very poor indicator of diver skill. :)

I use the 20/20 rule to "count" dives but my log is full of other information that helps me keep track of my diving. If I purchase or service a major piece of equipment, it goes in the log. If I take or teach a class, it goes in the log. If you spend time in a pool dusting off gear or working on skills and trim, why wouldn't that go in your log? It might not count as a dive but it does demonstrate that you've put time and energy into developing your skills and that might be more significant than yet another "fun" dive at the quarry.

[quote}Why exactly? With several hundred dives, most in the 80-250' range, I fail to see how logging a few (I've logged 3) fun, key, or cool pool dives is an issue. Especially when PADI requires so few dives to "go pro." (60 logged dives to become an instructor.) Would my certifying agency or instructor look at my log book and say :confused: YOU LOGGED A POOL DIVE!? YOU FAIL! Is it a question of being embarrassed to show your log book? I feel no shame by sharing what I learned, who won the UNO match, or how many rounds of underwater marco-polo we played on a particular pool dive.

An excellent idea. My dive software automatically numbers everything though, so I'm kind of stuck. I don't think that three logged pool dives out of a few hundred will change the boat operator's mind in regards to my skill level or allowing me to dive.

I do see the point, however (as I said in my previous post), that using the pool dives to give people the impression that you have more experience than you actually do, is a BAD idea. With that said, "number of dives" is a very poor indicator of diver skill. :)[/quote]

Instructor requires 100 dives to take the IE, 60 to start..too few in my opinion...however, my point was "IF" you were wanting to go pro and wanted to use those dives as a count they would not. In your case, as has been said before, your logbook is your logbook. I for one would not want to use them as has been said, sometimes a dive op wants to review your logbook and I would not want them to use pool dives as OW logged dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom