logging pool dives....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont think that you should log the dives into your log book because to me dives are in open water and not pools. Plus I do not think that any dive operators/instructors will count pool dives as experience. Maybe you could log your pool dives in a second log if you want and then keep a separate log book for the open water dives. Its a really good question though and ive heard many people askin the same thing.

Well here is a fresh look. The matter of the fact is the log book is yours and you can write in it whatever you want. (I know that opinion has been expressed) by you to be fair in counting for reason of conversation with other divers and for assesment by dive operators simply do not include pool dives in the numbering scheme.

so if you did

1. OW DIVE
2. OW DIVE
Pool Dive
3. OW DIVE
Pool Dive
Pool Dive
4. OW Dive

that's what I would do anyways. Retaining notes about your equipment configuration is crucial. I spent some night in a pool once to get weighting down with a new wetsuit. I didn't write anything down about that night and then didn't dive with that wetsuit for two weeks and forgot exactly how much weight I had where. I wish I would have had notes.

Srrh:
Hello y'all,

2 days ago, I went to the pool with my buddy: we had new equiment to test...
We've spent about 1h15 minutes underwater, 15 feet, testing everything (perfect weight distribution) and even, practicing a few basics (OOA etc..)

Should I log it...?

I would log it, but not count it. Your log book is for you. According to MDEA, (my cert agency) a log-able dive is 20'/20 minutes. I've assisted in weapon searches in the river, and helped connect mooring lines/chains underwater, but none of those were over 20', so I logged them, but didn't COUNT them.

I'm a Divemaster Candidate in the apprenticeship program, and I am logging the pool sessions I have helped with for the different classes for two reasons:

1. To keep track so I can get credit for helping out with the class. In order to become a divemaster, we need to assist the instructor with a set number of pool sessions. This is my proof if the Instructor forgot I was there one day.

2. Writing down what I learned helps me to remember and review it. Helping students is a lot different from practicing your own skills, so this is a little different than former pool sessions.

I'm counting these with their own numbering system, to keep track of how far from my DM I am, but they are in the same book.

I did do a fun SCUBAthon with the local scuba club this winter. I counted their "Skills Competition" with a dive number, just because it was more intense than some OW dives I've done.

FWIW,
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom