logging pool dives....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve50:
Gary, where was that 119 footer?

Here are a few links with some pics of the best pool I ever played in. :D I have several hundred runs from 50, 100 and the max. 119' depths. It was for the boat sailors but the divers used it the most. Back then we could free dive the total depth. Now I'm lucky to free dive the bath tub. :D

http://www.vmb-613.com/photographs/pearl_harbor.html

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3684/2302/1600/Tank1.jpg

Here are some good pics
http://thecookshack.blogspot.com/2006_05_07_archive.html

Gary D.

Srrh:
Hello y'all,

2 days ago, I went to the pool with my buddy: we had new equiment to test...
We've spent about 1h15 minutes underwater, 15 feet, testing everything (perfect weight distribution) and even, practicing a few basics (OOA etc..)

Should I log it...?

Heck NO...less you just feel like it for recording of info.,,remember it's YOUR log book.

Another way to look at it is, if you’re on life support and it is possible for you to die on the dive, then log it.

You know what that includes. IT’S YOUR BOOK for YOUR INFORMATION so log what you want. If you’re trying to step up the ladder the agency can pick and choose what dives they want to use.

I’m in a position where I have to log or record pool dives. I don’t keep it but it goes into the files.

Gary D.

Somehow, I feel that some divers mock shallow dives and pool dives as "non dives". However, for a beginner, and with a good instructor, practicing buoyancy control and maintaining bouayncy, safety stop depth buoyancy, etc.. is more difficult in a pool or shallow depths than a square dive to 90 ft. Of course, you can fog up your mask to mimic poor visibility, ha, ha...

One certainly forget to do air management at these depths, but a good reason to limit beginning divers to shallow depths perhaps is to force them to develop better buoyancy skill, and one of the reasons to insist on a 15 ft safety stop is for them to understand the need for proper weighting so they can main a hover at this depth with a nearly empty tank.

An hour in the pool practicing these skills is better than 40 minute burning air at 90 ft, in my opinion. 30 minute in a pool refreshing basic scuba drills in a refresher course is better than 10 successful dives to 90 ft where you did not practice basic scuba skills.

If you can spend 0:40 @ 90' you're a better man than I, Charlie Brown. :wink:

It's not that I "knock" the shallowness of diving in a pool (because two of my favourite dives EVER have been at Edmonds Underwater Park in Washington...and the entire site never exceeds 30'...), it's that it's confined water...usually in the presence of several other dive classes(around here). And let's be honest...that's not a "dive" compared to our real local conditions of cold water, poor vis, and gear loading. Sure...go ahead and record the dives for your later perusal...but don't "log" them with a dive number and expect operators not to laugh at you. :wink:

Cheers,
Austin

3-Ring Octopus:
but don't "log" them with a dive number and expect operators not to laugh at you. :wink:

Cheers,
Austin

No dive operators ever wanted to look at my dive log. Actually, I was refused a dive because I had my dive log, and not my C card. They did not have internet access nor phone access, and could not verify my certification.

I can think of at least a couple locally that do. They're checking to see how many coldwater dives or dives with current the diver has logged. We get into some pretty fun situations locally.

Also..to become a habitat diver for the local aquarium, you have to have logged at least 25 coldwater dives...so the logbook has to be presented.

Cheers,
Austin

As a "noob" the only pool dives I logged were my initial OW training dives signed off by my instructor. I have 20 actual OW dives logged. I do practice in the pool about every other week and only log information that will be useful for actual OW dives like changes in weight, equipment, etc. I think the whole concept of the log is to keep track of how the dive went, how deep, how well your weighting was, the conditions of the water, and of course how well you are breathing based on the dive. I am honest in my records because if I am not, I am only hurting myself. You will find many different opinions here, it just all depends on how you want to dive.

Good luck and Happy Diving!

Carolyn :D

If I learn something worth writing down then I log it or at least note it but 100's of dives later ...a pool dive probably wouldn't be counted for me personally. At first, yes, as every time in the water was a learning experience.

Confined or not, more than one diver has unfortunately died in a pool.

I wish I would have thought about this when I was a kid diving for golf balls in South Florida. I could have logged a few hundred dives. But its all water over the fins at this point. Particularly as no one logged dives of any kind anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom