logged dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gay, very gay.

I didn't say that it wasn't but I have done dives with people that just wanted a page. I don't agree with it but I have seen it. ...and yes, I logged them (4 or 5 of my dives, not many).

If I dive my HP100 or an AL80 my dives are usually limited by gas. In a larger tank or doubles, it's limited by the dive plan. (just defending myself before someone jumps on me for admitting that I have been had been a dive buddy to someone wanting a page.)

Bob I thought more of you, then diving just for a page.

I log every dive that is "of interest".
It could be a 5-minute dive aborted due to the conditions or it could be a "normal" dive with things seen (or lack of things to see to know where I dived and that it wasnt an interesting site) and worth writing down.
I use the log as a notebook that I can go back to and reference if I need to.

Examples would be a 20 minute local freshwater dive to 30 feet with the comment "Lots of mud" or a 12-minute dive with a more elaborate "report" of how my buddys tank valve o-ring blew at 65 feet. The first one would be in the log for me to know where it was and that it wasnt a nice place to dive, the 2nd would be there as its an incident worth learning from.

Bob I thought more of you, did not think you would just dive for a page

I dive for more than a 20' for 20 min dive but I have done a few of those dives because that's the dive plan that my buddy wanted. Two dives off of an AL80 is a joke. IMO

I've done 2 legimitate dives on a 130 or doubles without a fill but they weren't 20' for 20 minutes just to get a page unless my dive buddy had 48 dives and wanted to get a card for making 50. The card is a joke and a waste of money.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TIME UNDERWATER!

I think time underwater is the best training.

A card for 50 dives, apparently I missed that memo. Explain. I wanted to be the first to chastice you on the 20 ft for 20 min dive.

A card for 50 dives, apparently I missed that memo. Explain. I wanted to be the first to chastice you on the 20 ft for 20 min dive.

Check SSI's website. With 5 classes and 50 dives your a "master diver" (for a fee for the card). At 100 your a "century diver" regardless of training.

I didn't do it. I just admitted to diving with someone that needed another page or 2 in their log book.

Again: I don't condone it but it happens.

You need some new dive buddys, and gay for 50 dive card

Especially for new divers, part of the learning process is in dive logistics like planning the dive, setting up the gear, etc. Whether the dive was only 19 minutes seems to be splitting hairs beyond reason. The dive should count because most of the work was done regardless that the dive was cut short. It's still a dive, and probably the next dive will be 21 minutes or more, which makes up for the total time in the water.

Perfect example: My first dive after getting Trimix certified. I spent a lot of time over several days, mixing gas, preparing gear, cutting tables, etc. Then, on the actual day of the dive, I spent half a day loading up and then going out on the boat, and in general, a lot of time planning, preparing and just thinking about the dive.

The dive itself was a cluster and only lasted like 7 minutes, I think. During which time, the three of us got separated, missed the wreck and one of the divers got bent. Did I count that dive? Absolutely! I learned more on that dive than the 50 previous, even though it was probably the shortest dive I have ever done.

As long as you're actually doing the dives, count them. It's only when someone is trying to do something like fudging on a minimum dive requirement, that I would object. You know the saying, "There not cheating anyone but themselves..."

Back
Top Bottom