logged dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 mins is for training dives only per standards. I've logged 15 min dives in a non-training situation. It happens. I just don't have a log book full of 20 mins dives kwim? I make it my goal to have my ow students have the longest possible bottom time (air permitting) instead of rushing thru to get the minimum 20 minutes. I love bringing my group up a good 15-20 mins after another instructor, students with good bottom time, practicing their skills on a tour, instead of crawling along the bottom. If all you ever learned was that dives are 20 mins because of ow training, it's how you start planning your own dives. I know I did. Until I had a great mentor.

I have logged all of my dives including a 5 minute dive that I called b/c a lot of stuff was happening. Pool dives I have left out. I think that if you are going up for Dive Master and you are that close go out the weekend before. Also if it was a called dive I doubt they will penalize you for thet since those are the dive that you learn the most on in my non-expert opinion.

My dive log is my own personal record....if someone wants to record jumping in a jacuzzi that's their own affair.... if they are doing it to get some worthless card more power to 'em.
That being said, I would be pretty pissed if I buddy up with someone after they tell me they have over 50 dives and I find out they are a total numty down under with 20 pool "dives" and 30 12 minute plunges in a local quarry (half of which were training dives)..... I am not annoyed because they are inexperienced.....but because I DON'T KNOW they are inexperienced.....that changes the way I would dive with them. Please don't give me the "holier than thou" bit about treating every dive buddy the same....you always take much greater care of an inexperienced diver who admits it....often to the point of not really enjoying the dive yourself....
Personally I only record ow dives over 30 minutes..... training dives don't count....and as far as I am concerned a pool dive isn't a "dive" at all....it's just getting in the water with your gear on... I don't think I have been in a pool more than 2 or 3 times and that was at the beginning of initial ow training....but I would have to say that I have had baths that are more worthy of "dive" status:wink:

I log most of my dives. If I'm either training or being trained then it'll be logged with all the relevant information so it can be referred to again easily.
For anything else, a new site with have depths/tides/directions/boats/gps/medes etc recorded, with a record of any interesting life that was seen and/or the seabed type and just information on anything else good or bad that happened - more of a diary than anything else. It's not for anyone else but me - it's useful when you revisit a site several years later, or just to read through 20 years later - it's amazing how my perceptions has changed over time.

My dive log is my own personal record....if someone wants to record jumping in a jacuzzi that's their own affair.... if they are doing it to get some worthless card more power to 'em.
That being said, I would be pretty pissed if I buddy up with someone after they tell me they have over 50 dives and I find out they are a total numty down under with 20 pool "dives" and 30 12 minute plunges in a local quarry (half of which were training dives)..... I am not annoyed because they are inexperienced.....but because I DON'T KNOW they are inexperienced.....that changes the way I would dive with them. Please don't give me the "holier than thou" bit about treating every dive buddy the same....you always take much greater care of an inexperienced diver who admits it....often to the point of not really enjoying the dive yourself....
Personally I only record ow dives over 30 minutes..... training dives don't count....and as far as I am concerned a pool dive isn't a "dive" at all....it's just getting in the water with your gear on... I don't think I have been in a pool more than 2 or 3 times and that was at the beginning of initial ow training....but I would have to say that I have had baths that are more worthy of "dive" status:wink:

I totally agree with 95% of that. The part that I don't is about training dives. My last 4 dives were training dives. (ADV nitrox) In a quarry that's 42 deg below the thermocline. One of them was a max depth of 50' for 50 minutes (most of it was in the 30' range) The other 3 were planned depth of 100' bottom time 30 minutes, then ascent and deco. All 3 ended up being over 40 minutes according to my computer. I think that a 30 minute deco dive in double tanks, plus a stage bottle, in 42 deg water is worthy of being logged even though an instructor was with me.

FWIW: I did not log any of the pool training for this or any other class.

I log most of my dives (not pool) although I do not believe there is anything wrong with logging a refresher course that was conducted in the pool.

I do encourage my divers to list a refresher (dive) in their log book...Tho a skill review is not counted as a "numbered dive".....it's a record of their training/experience..after all..

What do you guys log, training dives, pool, or just the dives outside of classes, any opinions.

Curious, what is driving the question are you seeking opinions, or looking to go for a cert level that it may be required or...

I would not do what I've done.. logged religiously the first 100 or so and then stopped for three years and then did so rather half hazzardly as a nice dive events would take place... No crime in not logging, but sure would be nice to look back at some of the trips and see where at, when met people etc...

Have taken new stance to log those of "significance".

The log is for you. Can't say that I ever had anyone ask to see it as means of determining what I've done or not done.
As time has gone on though there are a number of things part of me wishes I had a small note on. People I've met, places visited, total bottom time etc. It makes for a nice easy way to go back and "see where you have come from".

Best-for me- log book I've seen was simple, generated from Excel. Allowed the person to carry a couple sheets in a binder and then copy pertinent info back into excel later on. Doesn't have to be elaborate, just something to help remember. Add columns as the dives expand.

Dave

pool dives no, everything else yes! apparantly unless you spend 20 mins U/W, it dont count?

Back
Top Bottom