Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So for $20 you can buy a usb floppy drive and have it next day from amazon :)

So no worries, you don't need to keep your early 2000s pc forever.

USB has been around now for 20 years, so the answer to 10, 20? Is a resounding yes. With USB 3.0 the interface is continually being updated and improved... that's one way that technology advances, it builds on previous foundations. Not always, sometimes new technology doesn't provide backward compatibility but it's not typically a surprise.

Anybody lose valuable data on a zip disk because you didn't see the writing on the wall? (BTW, you can get a usb zip drive off amazon too :) )

When the next great storage device is conceived, no worries make sure and download a copy from your cloud to said new storage device.

Anyway, sure, even electronic archiving requires some effort, but to suggest it's not as reliable, not as safe and requires more effort than paper just isn't true.

Maybe it's a generational thing? Every time I have to order something from Amazon, it feels like an effort to me. If I have to pay $20 for something, that's effort. If I have to keep an eye out for articles about whether some technology is about to replace some other technology, that's effort. I am fortunate to be keeping up with these things now, especially with technological advances, because it's part of my job. But I can't predict whether I will be as diligent in the future. I hope to be diving or at least still interested in my logbook after I'm retired.

Anybody lose valuable data on a zip disk because you didn't see the writing on the wall?

Nope! I was able to get all of my ZIP disk files copied to DVD before I got rid of that computer...

That being said, I was not so lucky with my original electronic dive log. I started electronically shortly after certification using Ruiz Log on the Palm platform. I ignored the page on their website about the convoluted process of exporting to Excel until actually needed it, by which time the website was gone and the support email dead. Faced with a choice of losing the dive records or copying them manually, I ended up copying my log manually from the old Palm Treo phone back to paper as well as the Diving Log software mentioned earlier.

I still prefer electronic to paper, but now make sure that everything is easily exportable to a format that is going to be otherwise usable once any given platform goes the way of the dinosaurs.

As for the Diving Log software, I love the PC interface, and love the iOS interface, but HATED the Android interface.

Y'know, as divers we take if for granted that our very lives depend on technology, being situationally aware, putting in time maintaining gear etc...

Yet when considering the TINY bit of effort that it takes to make sure that your DATA (not your computer or your hard drive or your cloud account) is available when you want it, I'm surprised that people feel that this is an insurmountable barrier.

This is far beyond diving. I have SO much digital data in terms of photos, videos, writing, medical records, financial records, genealogical data, etc... and ALL of it depends on me being an intelligent digital citizen in 2016.

This isn't 1985. It's trivially easy to back up and forward-migrate information. If you are a bit aware, it's easy to use non-proprietary formats that let you export and convert in the future, should things change massively with no backwards compatibility. It's easy to have all of this data, anywhere in the world, on your phone, in your pocket, in the middle of the ocean. And in the case of dive logs, it's really useful to do that.

And if you still want to have a paper log available so that when the singularity comes and the robots launch their EMF attack and everything digital is lost forever, you can just PRINT OUT a digital log and stick it on your bookshelf to read in your old age...

So what's a log for really for? Is it just for personal record keeping? What if I don't keep dive logs? Is there ever a requirement to show someone my dive logs? For rentals? For boat dives? For advanced training?

So what's a log for really for? Is it just for personal record keeping? What if I don't keep dive logs? Is there ever a requirement to show someone my dive logs? For rentals? For boat dives? For advanced training?

Log books are very rarely or ever required as proof of diving, maybe for Solo Diver. Information regarding wetsuit/drysuit and weight requirement is useful. I have some really unique information in my paper log regarding what I did and what I saw, as well as unique circumstances. To each their own.

So when I start my DM training, how do I "prove" that I've had my 40 or 100 dives? I'm sure they'll find out real quick if I didn't but still, just wondering.

One time I forgot to bring my certification card but had my logbook (99% of the time I have it with me cause I love collecting stamps of the divemasters), so they checked my logbook and allowed me to dive.

It's cool. I will print some of these before going to my next dive trip..
I use a Zoop which lets me upload my dive profile and lets me create
a digital dive logbook, but there's nothing like a log with stamps and autographs.
But that's just me.

Thanks for the input everyone. Happy diving!

I haven't been back to this thread in a couple of weeks.

Y'know, as divers we take if for granted that our very lives depend on technology, being situationally aware, putting in time maintaining gear etc...

Yet when considering the TINY bit of effort that it takes to make sure that your DATA (not your computer or your hard drive or your cloud account) is available when you want it, I'm surprised that people feel that this is an insurmountable barrier.

This is far beyond diving. I have SO much digital data in terms of photos, videos, writing, medical records, financial records, genealogical data, etc... and ALL of it depends on
me being an intelligent digital citizen in 2016.

This isn't 1985. It's trivially easy to back up and forward-migrate information. If you are a bit aware, it's easy to use non-proprietary formats that let you export and convert in the future, should things change massively with no backwards compatibility. It's easy to have all of this data, anywhere in the world, on your phone, in your pocket, in the middle of the ocean. And in the case of dive logs, it's really useful to do that.

And if you still want to have a paper log available so that when the singularity comes and the robots launch their EMF attack and everything digital is lost forever, you can just PRINT OUT a digital log and stick it on your bookshelf to read in your old age...

If I were doctormike, it would make sense to treat my dive data as I already do my OTHER data. But I don't already have OTHER data. I don't even have photos on my computer or anywhere else, as I don't take many photos. I have nothing stored digitally that's really important to me. Copies of old tax returns and stuff like that are in a file cabinet.

If I have to think about backing up and forward migrating and do something about it now and then over the years, then it is not "trivially easy" to me. If my computer dies or I forget with what cloud service I stored my data because I'm old and senile, I will not care. I admit I am the extreme case. I'm not trying to persuade anyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom