Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinaymermaid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just filled my first log book (the one you get from your open water course) and still wishes to continue writing, anyone with recommendations of a nice log book?
I like to scribble on just anything about a certain dive, a spacious comment section would be great.
Thank you so. :)

Personally I log mine on my computer with Subsurface.

With that you can add as many comments as you wish, log details of equipment etc and also add media.

Make your own!

I use MS Word to design my log page. Then I take a print out to Kinko’s, or a similar printing shop, where they can run off multiple copies, trim them, and finish off with spiral binding and covers.

You can refine your logbook to suit your diving. I’m currently on my fifth version. With each new printing I make improvements. In my newest version I added a lot of detail about equipment and weighting, which helps me dial in my buoyancy. If you like to write about your dives include a blank area with lines. You can have one page for each dive if you like to write a lot, or multiple dives on a page if you keep it brief. My logbook is 8 ½” x 5 ½”, and I log three dives on each page.

For your first logbook just have enough pages for about fifty dives. You’ll want to make some changes in your second version.

Although the trend these days is toward computerized logbooks, I remain a big advocate for the traditional handwritten kind. I’ve found the recorded info extremely useful when planning dive trips. It also becomes a valuable personal record of your life as a diver.

Last edited:
Although the trend these days is toward computerized log books, I remain a big advocate for written logbooks. I’ve found the recorded info extremely useful when planning dive trips. It also becomes a valuable personal record of your life as a diver.

Yes, because computers aren't capable of recording information, unlike a handwritten notebook.

Make your own!

I use MS Word to design my log page. Then I take a print out to Kinko’s, or a similar printing shop, where they can run off multiple copies, trim them, and finish off with spiral binding and covers.

You can refine your logbook to suit your diving. I’m currently on my fifth version. With each new printing I make improvements. In my newest version I added a lot of detail about equipment and weighting, which helps me dial in my buoyancy. If you like to write about your dives include a blank area with lines. You can have one page for each dive if you like to write a lot, or multiple dives on a page if you keep it brief. My logbook is 8 ½” x 5 ½”, and I log three dives on each page.

For your first logbook just have enough pages for about fifty dives. You’ll want to make some changes in your second version.

Although the trend these days is toward computerized logbooks, I remain a big advocate for the traditional handwritten kind. I’ve found the recorded info extremely useful when planning dive trips. It also becomes a valuable personal record of your life as a diver.

I do exactly the same, and for the same reasons!

I have come to the conclusion that some people just enjoy or at least don't mind the act of putting pen to paper, and others find it a chore. I like the look and feel of a physical stack of pages--they somehow feel more meaningful than something on a screen. Sometimes I like to draw diagrams (e.g., a wreck). I like the permanence of paper, as opposed to something dependent on technology, batteries, diligent backing-up, or a third party (e.g., a "cloud"). I was trained as a computer engineer, and I suspect that is what cultivated my love of paper and pens for anything unrelated to work. To each his own.

I'm a fan of digital dive logging as well, I use one that is free online, divelogs - Online Dive Logs .

I really like the interface, you can upload your computer logs easily, and/or manually enter info, add pictures and browse other people's public logs of specific sites to help plan.

I tried a few different online ones but this one was IMO the best.

To each his own.

Yes, but the whole point of this message board is that we talk about things and share points of view. I never thought that saying "do whatever you feel most comfortable with" was a helpful comment, whether it's backplates or logbooks.

As far as I can tell from this particular discussion, which comes up regularly, the only reasonable argument for paper logbooks is that some people enjoy the physical feel of pen and paper. That's fine.

But as a computer engineer, you know that data is not the same thing as the physical media on which it resides. ALL of my data is backed up - constantly, and without any work on my part. Both as an external drive (automatic time machine in the background), and to a cloud drive. No diligence involved, it happens automatically. If that third party cloud fails, I have the same dive data on my laptop, my external drive and my phone. And this is for stuff that represents a lot more work than my dive log. Metadata on thousands of images, genealogical data, financial data, writing, etc... There's a reason why no modern data-dependent enterprise (like banking, medicine, defense, or commerce) uses paper and pen, why should data that we personally care about (like a dive log) be any different?

With my computer log, I record far more stuff than I would ever write out by hand. Each dive may have a complete blog entry about the day, with paragraphs of text. I have wreck drawings in the log, so that everything is always available to me, on my phone, wherever I am. Sometimes, I cut and past entire articles about a specific wreck, so that I have it with me whenever I happen to be at that same site again Dive metrics far beyond what I would keep with a written log - like complete profiles, deco ceilings. In addition to all of the useful stuff like weighting with different exposure suits. If I'm out on a boat and I want to see what my dive was like the last time I was on this wreck 10 years ago, it's right there in an instant.

Closing in on 900 dives, it would be pretty hard for me to carry all of that information around on paper. And if I did bring it somewhere that it might be useful (on a dive boat or a trip), I would worry about losing everything - ALL of my dive history - if the book got wet or lost. The idea of all of that precious data existing in only one place, in physical form, makes me queasy.

I am keeping in mind that the original question was not the ever-popular paper versus electronic logbook dilemma, but rather recommendations for a logbook on which the OP can "scribble." I suppose that doesn't rule out electronic logbooks, but my impression was we're talking about paper in this thread.

I never thought that saying "do whatever you feel most comfortable with" was a helpful comment, whether it's backplates or logbooks.

I respectfully disagree. Some people seem to doubt whether their own comfort with gear or an approach to diving is irrelevant, and believe there is a more objective answer to every question. I think it's useful to remind people that if it feels good, that counts for something. But again, I don't think that was the issue in this thread. The OP seems to be on the same page (oh the pun) with we who enjoy paper logs.

As far as I can tell from this particular discussion, which comes up regularly, the only reasonable argument for paper logbooks is that some people enjoy the physical feel of pen and paper. That's fine.

I see what's coming ....

But as a computer engineer, you know that data is not the same thing as the physical media on which it resides. ALL of my data is backed up - constantly, and without any work on my part. Both as an external drive (automatic time machine in the background), and to a cloud drive. No diligence involved, it happens automatically.

There is nothing for you to do today or tomorrow, but the backup drive will eventually need to be replaced, and the cloud service may change at some point down the road. The cloud-based service may go out of business, and you may not take whatever action is required to preserve your data because you are occupied with something else at that time in your life--maybe you took a hiatus from diving. Nothing that requires ZERO work on your part is as permanent as paper.

If that third party cloud fails, I have the same dive data on my laptop, my external drive and my phone. And this is for stuff that represents a lot more work than my dive log. Metadata on thousands of images, genealogical data, financial data, writing, etc... There's a reason why no modern data-dependent enterprise (like banking, medicine, defense, or commerce) uses paper and pen, why should data that we personally care about (like a dive log) be any different?

If you've got the same resources to help you as a "modern data-dependent enterprise," then I agree. Most of us don't. Over the course of many years, our computer gear, software, procedures, etc.,--entire computing paradigms--are going to change, and someone is going to have to keep up with the changes, however slowly they may occur. In an enterprise, there is generally continuity of staff and procedures over the years--someone is always on top of things. For my dive data, there's just me and my whims. Sometimes I will be on top of things, and other times I won't be.

With my computer log, I record far more stuff than I would ever write out by hand. Each dive may have a complete blog entry about the day, with paragraphs of text. I have wreck drawings in the log, so that everything is always available to me, on my phone, wherever I am. Sometimes, I cut and past entire articles about a specific wreck, so that I have it with me whenever I happen to be at that same site again Dive metrics far beyond what I would keep with a written log - like complete profiles, deco ceilings. In addition to all of the useful stuff like weighting with different exposure suits. If I'm out on a boat and I want to see what my dive was like the last time I was on this wreck 10 years ago, it's right there in an instant.

All that appeals to the part of me that likes data. But the other part of me--the part that enjoys the simple pleasures of the pre-electronic gadget world--seems to be winning. I suppose I might change my mind if I get into more technical diving, where the numbers are a bigger deal. In the meantime, for logging my recreational dives, I enjoy being reminded of a specific time and place by my doodles and margarita stains.

Closing in on 900 dives, it would be pretty hard for me to carry all of that information around on paper. And if I did bring it somewhere that it might be useful (on a dive boat or a trip), I would worry about losing everything - ALL of my dive history - if the book got wet or lost. The idea of all of that precious data existing in only one place, in physical form, makes me queasy.

I don't carry all of my logged-dive pages with me on dive trips. The main logbook stays at home unless for some reason I really need to bring it. I may consult it before I leave if it has useful information about where I'm going. I just bring however many blank pages I think I will need. Saves on bulk and weight in my luggage. I fill out the pages in the evening after each day's dives. My logbook is as safe at home as any other semi-important papers I keep at home, some of which have been with me for decades.

I use a log book, dive computer, and a pc. I'm thinking about adding a dive log to my dive room wall.

Back
Top Bottom