Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to log my dives so I can recall when and where I saw what. At the end of the diving day, I like to break out my Fish ID book and log the critters I encountered that day. This really helps me to learn about that marine life. Also, I like to keep track of my weighting under different circumstances, wearing different exposure protection, etc. If it's been awhile between certain types of dives, this info can be very handy.

However, I realize I still have less than 100 dives under my weight belt and who knows, I may decide it's too much effort after awhile.

The reason given by several people for keeping dive log books is interesting. They suggest that these records can provide useful information for future dives, and also that one can savor the experiences of past dives, and details that might be forgotten become vivid and clear. I thought about this for a while, and I wondered if the same process might be applied to other intense life experiences.

I wonder if the many women I had relationships with when I was young and single would have minded if I'd kept a log (no puns please) handy to record various encounters. You know, like dates, places, names, interesting things seen, amounts of alcohol consumed, duration and maximum depth, that sort of thing. I can imagine leaning back in a barcolounger at an advanced age, and how I might really appreciate being reminded of particularly delightful experiences:

"Oh Wow!! Judy Silverman! I'd forgotten all about that weekend in Sarasota, back in July, '83. Says here it was hot and humid that Saturday, late in the afternoon, and we were just back from Casey Key covered with that coconut smelling suntan lotion, and soon we were slippin' and slidin' all over one another on that vinyl waterbed while the Stones were blasting Honkey Tonk Woman from the downstairs neighbor's stereo. I had completely forgotten about what she called her mustache, and how she..." But you get the idea.

Log books may have their place.

not a troll, huh?

yeah...

agilis:
The reason given by several people for keeping dive log books is interesting. They suggest that these records can provide useful information for future dives, and also that one can savor the experiences of past dives, and details that might be forgotten become vivid and clear. I thought about this for a while, and I wondered if the same process might be applied to other intense life experiences.

I wonder if the many women I had relationships with when I was young and single would have minded if I'd kept a log (no puns please) handy to record various encounters. You know, like dates, places, names, interesting things seen, amounts of alcohol consumed, duration and maximum depth, that sort of thing. I can imagine leaning back in a barcolounger at an advanced age, and how I might really appreciate being reminded of particularly delightful experiences:

"Oh Wow!! Judy Silverman! I'd forgotten all about that weekend in Sarasota, back in July, '83. Says here it was hot and humid that Saturday, late in the afternoon, and we were just back from Casey Key covered with that coconut smelling suntan lotion, and soon we were slippin' and slidin' all over one another on that vinyl waterbed while the Stones were blasting Honkey Tonk Woman from the downstairs neighbor's stereo. I had completely forgotten about what she called her mustache, and how she..." But you get the idea.

Log books may have their place.

Ya know, you might have something there! Might keep you out of trouble with birthdays, anniversaries and such!

But then, you have such a way with women, maybe you don't have much to log. It's easy to memorize the smaller details!

Of course "not a troll". I've been here 3 years, and my posts have been reasonably on point.
I can't imagine why you'd write that. I'm not attacking anyone, only presenting a slightly contrarian point of view. Discussion is healthy, don't you think? Disagreement can be constructive. Analogy can sometimes present a useful perspective.
And it's not nice to call people names.

speaking of logs....do you realize I could never fabricate an alibi that could not be rectified with my SB posting history? I shudder to think of the legal implications of being on here so much...

catherine96821:
speaking of logs....do you realize I could never fabricate an alibi that could not be rectified with my SB posting history? I shudder to think of the legal implications of being on here so much...

I know what you mean--damned insomnia!

Walter:
You've been diving for over 20 years (assuming, of course, you were born with the usual number and have had no accidents to reduce their sum) and have 200 of fewer dives. That's less than 10 dives per year. You don't dive much, yet you come here and get self-righteous about your inability to keep records. BTW, why are you lying in your profile? You say you have 101 - 200 logged dives in your profile, then you post here and claim to have no log, which is it?

Walter, I think I love you :wink:

By some peoples standards, Mr. No log book is still considered a newbie.

By the way, I log my dives and will be hitting dive #2000 very, very soon!!!!!!!

Oh shoot, mine are only in my Suunto and the ones from my eight years in the Caribbean....I guess technically I have to be on zero.

Back
Top Bottom