Log book mockery?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My log book has very slim technical details. I could care less about air pressures etc. It has a LOT of narrative space, however. I write very detailed descriptions of terrain and critters found. If I go back to that same place, I refer to my past write-ups so I know what to expect. It helps me decide what lenses to use etc. I often enjoy re-reading past accounts of dives. It really helps jog good memories.

In my personal opinion it depends on what YOU plan on doing. If you want to continue on your diving education and maybe become a pro, then YES you should log every dive since a course director or instructor will ask for proof of the minimum number of dives logged. If you have not interest it is up to you since some dive operators might ask to see when and where the last dive was in order to go to some advanced sites.

Its personal preference, lots of my buddies dont bother but i like logging my dives and use it more like a diary than technical log, although the two points i do like to know the number of dives ive done and also by total bottom time in hours.

But mostly its nice to look back at entries from years ago and to be able to use it to trigger memories about each dive that i would have otherwise forgotten.

I don't see why anyone would mock somebody for keeping a log book. It can be very useful, especially once you begin diving internationally where some operators may ask to see it to confirm your experience. I wish I still had a log of all my dives between 1962 and 1999. I didn't start keeping good track until June of 2000.

My logbook is an incredibly useful tool in determining how various gear, exposure protection, weight use and placement affected my dive wrt. comfort, trim balancing buoyancy etc. etc. I can look back at the dives I've done and compare configurations, and dial my rig in to within a few lbs. when I dive a new destination. That means that I'm comfortable and properly weighted with in one or two dives as opposed to messing with gear the entire dive trip.

I also keep track of which tanks I was diving, which gas I was breathing, what type of dive, and what my gas consumption was. That way I can make more realistic gas planning calculations, which often makes for longer and more relaxed dives.

The logbook is also often a nice trip down memory lane :)

I have DM'd for maybe a hundred students in open water classes. I am pleased when a student starts to fill his/her logbook on their own. The Instructors I have been with go over each dive with the students and then signs the logbooks. Many salient questions from the students. Never seen any mockery and I doubt it would be accepted well.

As has been said, it is personal preference. I get the sigs, stamps and all. One of my buds gave me a graph printout of our dives from 2 days prior. Yup, I am gonna staple em to my log book.

Many of my buds don't do the log thing. But they don't mind signing mine.

Most divers I have met and those I dive with all keep log books, very few don't

I have never seen anyone mocked for keeping a log book.

700+ dives in and I still log all dives (apart from pool), dive site, time in, max depth, temperature, weird critters and who I dived with. I also have a dive log stamp for guests.

I logged ALL my dives because I want it.
If I go to a new place I can show the LDS when I did tht last dive.
Log book mockery??? WHAT FOR?

Decades ago I overheard of a log book being mocked, we were a lot coarser divers back then, and the diver being mocked described where he would dispose of the book, immediatly if requested, and it was never discussed again.

Bob
-------------------------------------
Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom