Log book mockery?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lozadora

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There is another post asking whether people use their log books/why log dives, but my question is - do you mock people who enjoy keeping a log book? :idk:

I recently completed my OW course with PADI and through the course the instructor never once referred to my log book with me. It was only at the end when he was signing the mandatory pages he was surprised I had filled in details for the dives. I did not know some of the answers such as visibility, temperature, so I asked him for these and he seemed surprised I wanted to bother logging this.

I think it's neat to log all of your dives from a personal and experience point of view. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks I'm being "lame"!

I'm signing up to a dry suit course and now I'm going to feel embarrassed getting out my log book in front of the instructor and asking for their input on temperatures/visibility - should I be?

There is another post asking whether people use their log books/why log dives, but my question is - do you mock people who enjoy keeping a log book? :idk:

I don't mock anyone. I just don't keep one.

I don't know PADI course standards and all but personally I think he should have helped you fill out the log book after each dive supervising that you did it correctly and had the information you needed.

It's your logbook. Log whatever you want to log. There's no shame.

I don't think anyone would seriously mock you for it.
Some do some don't it's all up to personal preference.
I stopped logging all my dives when it became too much work and that was about 10 years ago.
Since then I only record the really important ones.
Kind of a diary if you will.

I absolutely never mock anyone about Dive Logs. Many of the group I dive with have more than 2,000 dives. One writes volumes on every detail of the dive, often spending 20-30 minutes. One of them probably hasn't touched a log book in years. Some see it as a pain, while others throughly love the process. As with most things, YMMV. I for one download my computer, link up the location and make a few notes as to entries, conditions, viz, buddies, and maybe new things I have seen.

Edit added: We were shown how to log dives with information from our computers in OW classes.

I use divelog 5, and I like all the graphs and tables it makes of buddies, air consumption, weighting, dive sites. Its neat to fill it in, makes me feel like my diving is improving (My dive times are constantly going up). But Im also keeping a signed book so that it wont be a challenge for me to get into my Rescue course.

Yes you should. If you want to log your dives, if you find the info to be useful then record it. I don't log much anymore my self but I think it could be a good tool. In fact, I think the info that is there could really be expanded on. Record you SAC. Have a chart of your gear with it's buoyancy characteristics so you can quickly add/remove weight. I think such a book could be very useful.

I log mine, and then input everything into Mac-Dive so I can do statistical analysis on my dives (I'm a bit of a stats nerd) and can see my SAC improving over time, average depths, dives per buddy, types of dives, etc.

I don't ask people to sign my logbooks, unless I'm diving with a new buddy, then it's mostly for posterity.

I'm not sure anyone mocks them. I think I tend to mock the gloom and doom 'you'll miss the dive of your life unless you have a paper log book' bs you see in those type of threads.

I log my dives electronically because I'm a geek and 1s an 0s make way mor sense to me :)

I recently completed my OW course with PADI and through the course the instructor never once referred to my log book with me. It was only at the end when he was signing the mandatory pages he was surprised I had filled in details for the dives. I did not know some of the answers such as visibility, temperature, so I asked him for these and he seemed surprised I wanted to bother logging this.

I think it's neat to log all of your dives from a personal and experience point of view. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks I'm being "lame"!

I'm signing up to a dry suit course and now I'm going to feel embarrassed getting out my log book in front of the instructor and asking for their input on temperatures/visibility - should I be?

Maybe you're a writer/journalist like I am and/or you just like writing. Don't be ashamed of it nor let anyone make you feel bad about it. I still religiously log my dives, in narrative form, by pen and paper and it is a part of my post dive activities. I used to log them online, but I stopped that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom