Log book mockery?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally find my logbook a holly book... Is the only reference from my diving experience. Whenever I want to recall a particular experience I go to my logbook and recap on it.

When I had around 40 dives, I was robber while in a diving trip. Good part of my gear was stolen, including some pretty expensive stuff, but the only thing I really regreted was my logbook.

From that date on, I have my paper logbook, my digital logbook with a backup on the internet and a logbook online. Call me obsesive, I may be but there is nothing I hate more than not having the information on several of my first 40 dives.

So my recommendation, LOG... maybe the stamps are not that important, but the information on your dive experience has enormous value to you.

I personally find my logbook a holly book... Is the only reference from my diving experience. Whenever I want to recall a particular experience I go to my logbook and recap on it.

When I had around 40 dives, I was robber while in a diving trip. Good part of my gear was stolen, including some pretty expensive stuff, but the only thing I really regreted was my logbook.

From that date on, I have my paper logbook, my digital logbook with a backup on the internet and a logbook online. Call me obsesive, I may be but there is nothing I hate more than not having the information on several of my first 40 dives.

So my recommendation, LOG... maybe the stamps are not that important, but the information on your dive experience has enormous value to you.
Bummer, losing your logbook. I lost my first one, too. I really wish I hadn't.

Sorry to hear about you losing your logbook!!! I have been scanning the pages as i fill them in, so I have a backup copy of the logbook. That way, I at least have a digital copy of the information.

Adam

Yeah, that's a real bummer. I xerox each page after the dive(s) and put the copies in our lead fire-proof box. I had a small notebook with about 600 words to study in Spanish and did the same thing with that. I DID lose it last April after collecting those words since 2003. A lot of words to copy over into a new notebook, but that's OK.

There is another post asking whether people use their log books/why log dives, but my question is - do you mock people who enjoy keeping a log book? :idk:

I recently completed my OW course with PADI and through the course the instructor never once referred to my log book with me. It was only at the end when he was signing the mandatory pages he was surprised I had filled in details for the dives. I did not know some of the answers such as visibility, temperature, so I asked him for these and he seemed surprised I wanted to bother logging this.

I think it's neat to log all of your dives from a personal and experience point of view. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks I'm being "lame"!

I'm signing up to a dry suit course and now I'm going to feel embarrassed getting out my log book in front of the instructor and asking for their input on temperatures/visibility - should I be?

I don't mock people who keep an up-to-date log book AS LONG AS they don't mock my not keeping a log book.

Nowadays, I keep a log whenever I'm doing a cert dive and want the instructor's signatures as back up to the cert card. Or whenever I were to try out new pieces of gear and wanted to keep a record of performance or whatever.

I get tired of writing, "Viz 20-ft, Temp 55-F, Heavy Surge, lots of sheepheads and nudiebranchs." I dive in SoCal for the majority of the time. There's only so many different things to see.

I get tired of writing, "Viz 20-ft, Temp 55-F, Heavy Surge, lots of sheepheads and nudiebranchs." I dive in SoCal for the majority of the time. There's only so many different things to see.

Yeah, I hear ya. Same here in Nova Scotia-- it ain't the Caribbean. However yesterday, in 10' of water I actually saw a WOLF FISH. I know they are big time in the Pac. NW, but I guess there is an Atlantic version. About 18' long -- brown/maroon. Thought it was just another big bunch of boring kelp sitting on the sand. At first scared the %&$* out of me. That's one ugly *(&^%$#&^%($. Now there's something new for the log.

Yeah, I hear ya. Same here in Nova Scotia-- it ain't the Caribbean. However yesterday, in 10' of water I actually saw a WOLF FISH. I know they are big time in the Pac. NW, but I guess there is an Atlantic version. About 18' long -- brown/maroon. Thought it was just another big bunch of boring kelp sitting on the sand. At first scared the %&$* out of me. That's one ugly *(&^%$#&^%($. Now there's something new for the log.

Whenever I see a new lifeform, I'd document it on a log entry too. I ran into some weird fish off Santa Cruz Island the other day and didn't recognize it, so I entered it into the log with detailed description so that I can track it down.

Sorry to hear about you losing your logbook!!! I have been scanning the pages as i fill them in, so I have a backup copy of the logbook. That way, I at least have a digital copy of the information.

Adam

I strongly recommend the software based ones... They usually have goo integration with the computers and all... They brought calm to me hehehe

Bummer, losing your logbook. I lost my first one, too. I really wish I hadn't.

I too, had an issue with my first log book with my first 50 dives- my packpack with my logbook in it hit the water. It was soaked. Now the good news- I use permanent ink pens, so none of the ink ran. So on the way home, as it dried, my buddy constantly opened the pages so they would not stick to each other. Now, the log looked more like a fan than a logbook by the time it was dry, but it was readable.

I did end up copying the entries to a new logbook. I use the 100 dive "booklets" that fits in the logbook now, so when I am on deck or dock, I usually just have this and my cards inserted in a ziplock bag. Lesson learned!

I also do use MacDive, and have lately had fun attaching some pictures to each dive. I also tend to do much more commentary when it is on the computer.

I too, had an issue with my first log book with my first 50 dives- my packpack with my logbook hit the water. It was soaked. Now the good news- I use permanent ink pens, so none of the ink ran. So on the way home, as it dried, my buddy constantly opened the pages so they would not stick to each other. Now, the log looked more like a fan than a logbook by the time it was dry, but it was readable.

I did end up copying the entries to a new logbook. I use the 100 dive "booklets" that fit in the logbook now, so when I am on deck or dock, I usually just have this and my cards inserted in a ziplock bag. Lesson learned!

I also do use MacDive, and have lately had fun attaching some pictures to each dive. I also tend to do much more commentary when it is on the computer.

I've never understood why dive log books aren't made out of waterproof paper? They are CONSTANTLY around water. I went to one like this ... Trident Waterproof Dive Log Book for Charting Your Dives - Log Books & Refills : House of Scuba. I also use a black fine-point permanent sharpie. It can get splashed or even dunked and will dry out just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom