Log book mockery?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mock them, but I do silently wonder why they want me to sign off their log book......

Have to agree with you on this one. But I usually readily do- they are usually the new, enthusiastic divers.

I likewise keep my log in MacDive, and I really can't imagine having someone sign off with their finger on the touchpad.

Slight hijack- do any agencies require signed sheets to enter the Divemaster/Dive Con/Instructor programs? More curious than anything.

I keep a logbook just for my own interests. I would love to do it in my computer, but no matter what I try, my laptop will not work with my OC-1. I have the program on there, and the laptop recognizes the OC-1, but it will not download the the data.

Our instructors go though every step of filling in the log after students finish the OW course. I keep mine diligently and fill it in the same day after all dives. I particularly enjoy getting instructors to sign, and "just graduated" students even more so. I think in 7 years I have maybe seen a dozen (non-student) others with books. I would imagine all the others either don't log or do the computer log thing. I've never been mocked for whipping it out... but I have felt a little funny when I'm the only one doing that like after a charter boat.

I log all my dives and all my wife's dives. But I do have to smile when I see divers filling out the one dive per page dive log. I started that way with the Padi book. But I quickly went looking for a more efficient alternative. Went to a home made form that fit 4 pairs of dives on a page. That got old also. Now I'm recording 20+ dives on a page - one line for site info and another line per dive at that site.

I wouldn't mock you. I still keep a dive log and I've logged over 3,000 dives.

I don't do it for anyone other than myself, so I don't much care what anyone else thinks about it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There's no place for arrogance or mockery. Do as you choose.

Using Fumble Thumbs via Tapatalk 2

I recall that thread the OP refers to. As I said there, I log my dives on traditional paper pages of a logbook, because I like to make sketches (to recall where I was on a wreck, to help me later identify marine life, etc.). And if a dive op offers a sticker or stamp to put in my log book, I heartily accept it. I have never had anyone mock me (to my face).

I recall a former girlfriend who would have the divemaster sign the page after diving. I thought that was a bit pointless, but I never mocked her.

I don't bother with signatures, and have never been asked to sign someone elses log, but I certainly wouldn't laugh at anyone who did ask me. I do however log every dive, even dives in pools for training, and keep records of what weight, air consumption etc. was, but also skills I might have practiced or anything of note. I don't write an essay - just short one line notes and so on. I also use Diving Log 5 which does mean that I can track progress and look at what happened last time.

Tomorrow I'm going back to do a boat dive that I have done four of five times already this year, I will have a look at the previous records before I go. At this site, which is a 4 to 5 metre high wall starting at a depth of about 20metres about a mile off shore, even with GPS finding the start of the wall can be tricky so I always try to keep notes about the topography of the site itself as well to help with finding it again.

Bottom line is a log book can be very useful if you are the sort of person who will look at it and use it, and can be essential if you want to prove experience for courses, but they are not for everyone, and if you are not going to do more courses and don't want to keep one it's an individual choice. But should anyone take the mickey out of another for doing so? - absolutely not.

After all apart from being boorish, if this sort of behaviour went on in the school playground we would call it bullying ! - P

Last edited:
...but my question is - do you mock people who enjoy keeping a log book?

No. I use MacDive and my Cobalt dive computer to get the main basic info., then manually input salt or freshwater, boat or shore entry, buddy (if any), gear used, and some notes (like what particularly interesting animals I saw, or what was interesting, hazardous or just good to know on that dive), my weight used, etc...

Over time, seeing my SAC rate for a dive with a given gear configuration (e.g.: tropical dive with no wet suit, BCD, aluminum 80 and 17 lbs weight vs. solo dive at local quarry with wet suit, 130 steel tank and for redundancy slinging a 85 steel tank) and reminiscing about old dives is useful to me. It helps me get a better idea of how long a dive I get out of a given tank and conditions.

Richard.

I keep basic stats for my dives. I write down the date, entry and exit times, max depth, and location in table format on a blank sheet of paper when I'm on a trip. My biggest problem is that I tend to wait until a few weeks later before I actually write it in my logbook so the details are gone from my memory. I'd like to track more and admire those that do.

I attribute it to the same problem I had in school. "Why do homework now when I can put it off until tomorrow." :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom