Log book mockery?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We download all of our students dive computers from their pool sessions on, it makes logging dives a breeze.

They create an electronic logbook.

They can be as detailed as they want, ad pics, latitude & longitude., notes, etc.

It actually shows the dive w/ tissuse loading, ascent rates, SAC, heart rates, etc.

I believe it is a great way to learn to dive or learn more about your diving no matter how many dives you have.

I've kept one going back for years. too bad if others have issues with it. It gives me much information when I re-dive those areas

My wife and I log all of our dives. We keep track of dive sites, conditions, weighting, exposure protection, and anything of interest that may have occured.

We don't worry so much about signing them as 90% of our dives are together.

Would I mock someone for doing the same? Absolutely not.

When I was a PADI instructor it was a requirement that the instructor signed your log after each day of diving I don't know if it still is part of the PADI standards but I do know it is part of the SDI instructor standards.
I keep a log for myself not to impress anyone but it is always nice to see what I was doing last year, year before etc.
I also keep a log for potential students who want to see what I am doing when I am not teaching.
Personally I would be wary of any instructor who did not log their dives.

When I was a PADI instructor it was a requirement that the instructor signed your log after each day of diving I don't know if it still is part of the PADI standards

It is.

What's to mock? Logs are useful for all the reasons posted. I lost my lost from 1968 to 1975 :( . I keep hoping they'll turn up but it has been a long time since I last saw those books. Just a few weeks ago I came across my logs from the late 70's and 80's that I had "hidden" on myself. It was fun to read them and recall old dive buddies,and old dives. I did notice that the vis was a bit better back then, not so much greater vis, but good vis (more than 10ft) more often. My logs for the last 2-3 years show very few dives in the NE area over 10ft vis. Funny the water temps seem to be the same. Someone told me the ocean was getting warmer. Maybe just not off the coast of RI/MA/CT.

I have dived everything from swim shorts with a rashie to a 7mm farmer john with a hood, single tank to doubles with stages... It's great to be able to look back through my logs & know exactly what weight I need for each setup, not to mention run/deco times & gas consumption

I have signed or stamped more than my share of log books. There's a price for notoriety. :D

That being said, I love it when people blog their dives right here on ScubaBoard for ALL of us to read. This is especially true for the photographic and video blogs where we get to see what you saw.

My PADI OW instructor made sure I logged all my dives with the right information before signing off. And no I don't keep a log book now, and I don't mock those that do. it's all a personal preference!

I don't mock anyone. I just don't keep one.

I don't know PADI course standards and all but personally I think he should have helped you fill out the log book after each dive supervising that you did it correctly and had the information you needed.

It's your logbook. Log whatever you want to log. There's no shame.

Same here, been a diver for 44 years, zippo log book. However, there are times I wish I had kept one. In this very board down in one of the fin threads, the boat I went out on for a particular dive, do not remember name. Of course I still have my receipts and could figure it out.

If you want to keep one, go right ahead. Some boats have cool stamps for different sites, be sure to have them stamp the book, if you keep one. I also keep google maps of some sites and gps coordinates (be careful to ask permission). My Ned Deloach Florida guide book is stamped and signed over each site, sort of a log I suppose.

On the other hand, I have never had anyone I can recall at the moment ask me for a log book.

N

Back
Top Bottom