Location of cargo pockets on a dive suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So none of you has any first hand experience on this? Just quotes of quotes?

Yeah, here ya' go, scooter :wink:

After waaay too many cold water working dives, I'll tell you one hard and fast rule: There are no hard and fast rules.

Placement and Size? It all depends upon the use of the pocket. What are you going to put in it? What position will you be in, what hand will you use, do you need to see the pocket to access it, and so on...

Mission specific is the key. Your stuff should be infinitely adaptable and changable depending on what specific activity you intend to perform.

On some dives, I hung a 12 pound wrench on a lanyard off of my right wrist (so long I could sling it over the back of my neck) and a sledge on a line over my head and neck. Sometimes emergencies involving human life enliven creativity. But for now, back to day-to-day reality...

For me, it boiled down to my inventive version of now what has become as MOLLE or ALICE attachments as used by the US Military. Pouch Attachment Ladder System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A series of attachment devices positioned on my suit, allowing optional and quick attachment of any accessory (pocket or otherwise) that could be snapped on and off.

There is no general answer as to what pocket should be attached where.

When I am fun diving, I hang a BLACKHAWK ! *S.T.R.I.K.E. Large Utility Pouch w/zipper between my BC's shoulder straps at the sternum level (with mini carabiners). It's cheap, transportable, I can carry it separate from my heavy dive gear, it has nylon mesh drain holes for draining. It will easily accept and protect my Olympus camera.

Real Dive Shop HERESY : I use this Osrow Fine Men's Grooming - Urth Dop Kit in much the same manner, carrying easily accessed items such as signal mirror, whistle, line, markers, knife, whatever. Easy to see, feel and access. Yep... it's a "dop kit". Not available at your LDS. Check MallWart.

What's the question, here?

Improvise, adapt, overcome. Solutions are not necessarily barcoded and for sale.

So none of you has any first hand experience on this? Just quotes of quotes?
I put some pockets on my old drysuit on the front side and I found them harder to reach when I carried deco bottles since my left arm had to cross the bottles when I did the hokey-pokey. I also noticed that the pockets were the lowest point since they would make first contact with anything underneath me.

My new suit has factory installed pockets on the outer thigh and I like them much better.

I don't scooter.

:D

"I put some pockets on my old drysuit on the front side and I found them harder to reach when I carried deco bottles since my left arm had to cross the bottles when I did the hokey-pokey. I also noticed that the pockets were the lowest point since they would make first contact with anything underneath me.

My new suit has factory installed pockets on the outer thigh and I like them much better. "

I agree. wet or dry, front thigh pockets are not nearly as convenient to reach (with and without stages/deco), they become the lowest point when trim is correct (and thus catch on everthing below you), you wind up raising your thigh up to you to reach in the pocket (and thus improper trim), and you look like a dork with pockets in the wrong dang place!
:dork2:

(nothing personal - but put them on the outside of the thighs where they belong - you'll be much happier.):)

-skip

(nothing personal - but put them on the outside of the thighs where they belong - you'll be much happier.):)-skip

I did this for my wife but she kept asking, "Does this drysuit make me look fat?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom