local OW training info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298:
gezz guys dont scare him away with all your LDS horros stories
its called retail
you get that anywhere

Yes, I know hence the Mazda and Best Buy examples. The scuba market is a little peculiar though. If you go to an audiophile board and someone discovers that a poster works for Bose, there is going to be quite an uproar but here it is common practice for shop owners/employees and even manufacturer reps to plug their products. Usually it is well known that the poster works for Bob's Scuba Emporium and board veterans bare that in mind when taking their advice but if it isn't stated in their signature, a new member would have to do some digging to discover it.

I actually think the LDS owners/employees are usaually more trustworthy than retailers in other industries for several reasons, our lives depend on it and they depend on a close relationship with their customers to remain in business but only a fool would walk into an LDS with a checkbook and say "what all do I need?".

Fixxer, that's about right.

Well after Rodney King got almost half beaten to death he uttered the famous words "can't we just all get along?" . Amen Rodney! But then again didn't he beat the crap out of someone else after that and get arrested? LOL! Thanks Loosebits and FixxerV16!

FIXXERVI6:
I may or may not be accurate here but I think the purpose of what I think loosebits is getting to is, shop around, gather information, don't walk into 1 dive shop and take everything that is said as written in stone fact, talk to a few dive shops, talk to a few divers, talk to different types of divers, ask questions, read books, then invest wisely. ... be an informed buyer.

Oh and dont' get your education from scuba board, on here you'll find people like myself that have super strong opinions on certain things like split fins :) but this IS a good source of information if you can wade through all the BS so use it, but don't take what is on these boards as stone fact ... Did I get that about right?
I understood loosebits just the way you said it above. Excellent advise and summation.

For me, scubaboard has been an excellent source of info and amusement. I find it is pretty easy to tell the difference. It is advisable to not be thin-skinned though.

Willie

loosebits:
Usually it is well known that the poster works for Bob's Scuba Emporium and board veterans bare that in mind when taking their advice but if it isn't stated in their signature, a new member would have to do some digging to discover it.

I just to a look at my signature again, you are right, it should be stated in my signature. Consider me a changed person.

Debraw:
I just to a look at my signature again, you are right, it should be stated in my signature. Consider me a changed person.

Now get back to work, I want to see that shop in tip-top condition later today!

LOL :)

Debraw:

My venting wasn't targeted at you. As I recall you either had a link you your shop in your sig or you would always say something like "come by my shop" when giving gear/training recomendations so it was always obvious that you had some affilation with SIS.

By the way, why the name Surface Interval? I don't like surface intervals, perhaps Bottom Time Scuba would sound better :)

off topic
im fully aware of the scuba indusrty, and how shops can burn ya
i have been badly burn myself in the begining of my diving career..
but moving on..

Ok, everyone take a deep breathe.
Lets put the ‘pin’ back into the hand grenade and step back a second.

The statments that were made here are industry issues.

Things are not perfect in the world of scuba but that is not to say that we need to throw everything out with the trash. What you say is very relivent but we have to lure the pray in slowly. :D Everyone has a learning curve and I too have not been not happy with everything in scuba land but that is a separate topic- I assure you.

Debra works her ***** off and unless we walk a day in her shoes first- we have very little idea of what she goes through. Talking to customers, deal with idealistic divemasters, instructors that might be borderline burnout, staff that calls in sick… and that does not start with vendors, training agencies, picky customers and a whole barrel of bs from the industry. She wears a smile on her face and try’s to help out every day.
I sure as heck did not touch this thread at first because it is a bomb waiting to go off and she jumped in with both feet to help. All she asks for is a little care.

Oh, in closing I know how this freaking circus works.
I am a retired NAUI Instructor Trainer for University Scuba
(Mitch hope that you are having fun.)
Supported my fiancée :D when she was a PADI Master Instructor Trainer at Debra shop. When I was burned out of teaching.
Taken cave courses from Tuckers Dive shop- which I need to do more of.
Flown to Tennessee to work on Closed Circuit rebreather courses.

Diving is what you make out of it- lets have fun and work at it together.
So have you even looked at at dive shop yet- yeeish.

Andrew

I think you jumped in a bit late, the grenade has been stowed. Fixxer is ready to deploy it next time he sees a split fin thread though so be warned :)

lets talk DIR
woops where that pin go
haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom