local OW training info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so
what do ya'all recomend for a wetsuit for our newb here.
im of no help here never have dove in that area..
i use a poseidon unisuit but i dive in new england all year around

i just want to learn to dive dangit

do i need to put my cape on and fly down there
haha

Do your friend a favor and make them take his course(s) from University Scuba. I took my OW from them and am in the process of my Master Diver cert. from them...the weekends are probably the best time you will ever have diving.

actually hes sence joined this forum

hes TX4wl
and i think arlingtons a hike for him

During the summer, water temps at moderate depths call for a 3mm full suit (upper 70's, low 80's), below the thermocline in most lakes and you'll want something more. Lake Travis at 100' never gets above 60 deg. During the winter, water temps in area lakes fall to the upper 40's/lower 50s.

My split fin detector went off, I detect the word split fin in this thread someplace.

Don't do it, they suck, I know I've spent more money on fins than some people have their entire rig, don't become a victim, some shops will fill your head full of stuff about them like, they are faster, prevent cramps, give you better air consumption, hell they even cure cancer, its all crap, don't ever let them touch your feet if you get used to them you'll be hooked on em like crack and you'll never see the light, just say no.

Sure they are faster if your swimming a 2 mile race at max speed, I don't get in the water to race, sure they won't tire you out as fast as standard fins if you get in and try to swim at warp speed, and they do a real good job rototilling up the bottom too!

Just don't do it man, they cost too much for crap, its like paying someone to slap you, why would someone do that? I dunno.

Get you a nice set of paddle fins, quatro's, jets, anything, just say NO to split fins please, if they give you cramps then kick different, modified flutter, frog, modified frog etc, I could strap plywood to my feet and not get cramps, seriously.

If I have offended anyone that likes split fins, well, I dunno what to say cause I"m not going to say I'm sorry, these are my opinions as I've had them on my feet and almost hurled under water they stressed me out so bad, I did a fin swap with my buddy at 40 feet cause I couldn't take it anymore, I've been down the OPV road too for you mares and dacor fans, those are also sitting on my garage floor covered in dust.

On a positive note, in a straight line doing a flutter for full speed they did provide good speed with little effort, but I don't dive like that, if you try to do anyting other than straight line flutter with them, well get in the water without fins and thats about how well they work, about the same as no fins.

I can give my opinions like this cause I've used them, if I could invent a time machine I would go back and save myself a boat load of money on gear by simply going back and giving myself the message, just say no man, just say no.

I know this isnt' a thread fin and I don't mean to hijack but this is the best advice I can give, seriously man don't do it. I've managed to convert 2 newbies from splits to a blade fin, they are now happier divers and they thanked me for showing them the way to scuba salvation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom