local OW training info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tx4wl:
common ray i thought youd back me up ...yeah the stereo typ is true most red necks and all but some very talented people that rock crawl and are very smart drivers ...most of the guys i wheel with are very educated and are all walks of like ..piolots,dr's,lawyers, bussiness owners..ect.... but yeah there are some dumb arses as well .. i just hate the stereo typ ...:14:
sorry your right
some of the people i wheel with are very smart..
one is also a pilot, and a diver..
but we get some real knobs out there on the trail..
there usually the ones we spend half the day recovering from somewhere or getting off its roof back on its tires...
anyway
back on topic
your mask fins gloves booties..ect. get that at the LDS (local dive shop)
you wanna try them, make sure they fit right.
espicaly the mask and fins
as for the rest of the stuff you might buy..
regs, tanks BC.......make sure ya talk to me first

be carefull TX this forum gets just as addicting as :jeepin:
woops that dont work here

All I can say is careful with the mask/fins/snorkel. These are the big money makers for shops as this is the gear they know they'll sell (all the other gear depends on if you keep diving, rarer than you think, especially with the card printing shops out there). I've never seen the dealer cost on these items but I imagine they get a higher return on mask/fin/snorkel than anything else out there.

Snorkels: Get as cheap a snorkel you can find or a collapsable one that you can stuff in your pocket. The snorkel is the most useless peice of gear there is and I can think of very few situations where its going to be helpful to have it and even fewer where it will save your life. The snorkel exists because recreational diving started on the California coast where you would have to swim several hundred feet in large waves before getting deep enough where you could dive. Unfortunately all agencies still require it for OW, probably because the LDS's would revolt if they didn't as they can convince (and I've seen them do it) a new diver that they need to buy this $50 air tube that has all these special features to keep water out of the tube. Its doubtful you'll ever use this $50 tube- your reg works better and the air is cleaner (especially when getting back on a diesel dive boat).

Mask: find one that fits and fits well. Side windows may look great in the shop but they work a little different in the water, you will see something in the side window coming up beside you and you think its just to the left of you but its actually several feet behind and to the left. That's because the light is going to bend quite a bit when hitting the window and you may find it frusterating having your eyes constantly lying to you. Clear skirts work well if you want some ambient light, black skirts will give a bit more of a tunnel effect. Also I'd stay away from purges. Clearing your mask will become the easiest thing in the world and with a good fitting mask, you won't be doing that unless someone kicks you in the face... that's what you get for tailgateing :)

Fins: Its amazing what you can spend on fins, I know they can run $200 and I'm sure you can buy a $250 pair. Now remember, this is for a piece of plastic with a rubber strap. Any fin will work. Split fins will be more efficient with the trade off being that kicks that don't stir up the bottom will be more difficult and you won't have as much control. I love standard blades but that's because I do types of diving that absolutely requires them.

Boots: Get some full ankle boots, they are more versatile than the feet-only boots. I usually wear a size smaller than my street size, you don't want much space past your toes. For you normal sized people, it may be half size smaller but for my foot, they stopped with the half sizes 3 sizes ago.

Color: Lots of colors out there... get whatever you want as long as its black. Seriously, black is cool today because everyone wants to look like a tech diver but it does have an advantage that you can find pretty much everything in black. If you buy some yellow fins and a yellow mask, you are later going to have to find a BC and a wetsuit that matches which will severely limit your options. It also doesn't look as bad when it fades.. remember, red turns pink when it fades (and its going to look purple underwater anyway).

Your friend is obviously a very experienced diver, I'd get as much info from him as I can as he's someone you can trust (stop short of getting dive computer advice though, I saw his profile photo :) ). I'm just a jerk and some other people here own some local area dive shops so I wouldn't trust anyone online more than your buddy.

you guys are great with the info ... i appreciate it greatly ....so far i have dont splurge on the snorkle,get tight booties,fins dont matter for starters ,and fancy goggles are a gimmic

now what i need is a good school close to me and a partner thats new as well... its nice to have a partner and my friends(i called alot) no one want to join my venture

loosebits:
I'm just a jerk and some other people here own some local area dive shops so I wouldn't trust anyone online more than your buddy.

Why on earth would you make this comment? The "buddy" is the one who came here seeking advice. Then the guy came back and asked for advice himself. Not all dive shops are out to "get" everyone. :banghead: I guess I missed the definition in the dictionary next to "dive shop owner" that says "cheat, liar and thief".

I was going to suggest International Scuba, it's closer to him, they run a good shop and will offer long term follow up with regular outings. We offer that too BUT it's probably unrealistic to ask someone to drive from Dallas to Arlington to make a 6:30PM class.

yall are funny....get the info comming guys im trying to soak it all in litterally hahhaa

tx4wl:
you guys are great with the info ... i appreciate it greatly ....so far i have dont splurge on the snorkle,get tight booties,fins dont matter for starters ,and fancy goggles are a gimmic

now what i need is a good school close to me and a partner thats new as well... its nice to have a partner and my friends(i called alot) no one want to join my venture

Snorkel- get a good one if you like to snorkle or Free diving ( many people like to free dive!). I mean a good one in my opinion, the one I have is a dry snorkel.
Booties- get ones that fit you like a sock. Getting boots that fit you to tight will cause your feet to cramp
Fins- they do matter and ones that are just plain plastic without any give or flexibility will tire your legs out after a long dive or in a heavy current, causing cramping if you do not have the leg power.
Masks- get one that fits, it might be a fancy one and hey you might like it. It may be a less expensive version. If it fits get it.

Color does matter to some people, you can see yellow and neon green along with other colors much better in green or dark waters like the area lakes.

Since you seem to be uncertain about your future diving partners then look for a shop that has regular outings. We can go on for days, we are a dysfunctional family. Join us won't you?

Haha
you think this is crazy
you should go in the DIR forum
Haha

hey Shawn
you wanna snorkle
i have a scubapro shotgun II you can have
ill stick it in the next package i send

Debraw:
Why on earth would you make this comment? The "buddy" is the one who came here seeking advice. Then the guy came back and asked for advice himself. Not all dive shops are out to "get" everyone. :banghead: I guess I missed the definition in the dictionary next to "dive shop owner" that says "cheat, liar and thief".

I was going to suggest International Scuba, it's closer to him, they run a good shop and will offer long term follow up with regular outings. We offer that too BUT it's probably unrealistic to ask someone to drive from Dallas to Arlington to make a 6:30PM class.

No, but would you trust the guy at Hiley Mazda when he says Mazda makes the most reliable car out there? Do you trust the guy at Best Buy who tells you that this television will give you the best picture? Only the most unscrupulous LDSs would try and sell me something that is just plain wrong for the type of diving I do but very few LDS's will try and convince me to buy something that is the absolute best match for the type of diving I do unless its one of the items they carry.

LDS's can't give an honest opionion, at least not one that can be 100% trusted because of the conflict of interest. It doesn't make all shop owners liars, cheats and theives but it also doesn't make them the most trusted source for information on gear selection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom