Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. I guess

If I am on a liveaboard, I cannot be contacted. If I am landbased, I am available if I choose to be. Some jobs are like that. I mean, there are many ways to live a life that are not yours, so...
More and more liveaboards have satellite WiFi

OK. I guess

If I am on a liveaboard, I cannot be contacted. If I am landbased, I am available if I choose to be. Some jobs are like that
One time I was sitting in front of a dive shop in Mexico and decided to turn on my phone. It immediately rang and it was a customer with a service station. He said "listen to this" and held his phone so I could hear the sound the pump made. I told him what the sound was and told him a 3000 mile service call was going to cost a lot. When I got home I sent him a big bill for bothering me while on vacation. He sent me back a bigger bill for not taking him with me.

Damn this would have totally bitten me if they had ever bothered to enforce it. I am the guy that brings all the gadgets. Last year I brought my laptop, a tablet that I pretty much only use to watch movies on the airplane, and my steam deck (a portable gaming pc). And that's just the computers, I have other electronics in my carry on.

They could have made me pay for two of those. I was even searched at customs that time and they didn't bother me. They also didn't find my sudafed. I have bad luck at getting searched (about a 25% hit rate I think) but good luck on them never bothering me with anything.

For a past job I even used to travel to Cozumel with my work laptop too, 'just in case'. Fortunately with my current job I don't have to ever bring work with me. But I'll always be over their dumb limit just with my personal stuff. One more thing to add to the travel anxiety pile I guess. This law is kind of stupid in the 21st century.

Damn this would have totally bitten me if they had ever bothered to enforce it. I am the guy that brings all the gadgets. Last year I brought my laptop, a tablet that I pretty much only use to watch movies on the airplane, and my steam deck (a portable gaming pc). And that's just the computers, I have other electronics in my carry on.

They could have made me pay for two of those. I was even searched at customs that time and they didn't bother me. They also didn't find my sudafed. I have bad luck at getting searched (about a 25% hit rate I think) but good luck on them never bothering me with anything.

For a past job I even used to travel to Cozumel with my work laptop too, 'just in case'. Fortunately with my current job I don't have to ever bring work with me. But I'll always be over their dumb limit just with my personal stuff. One more thing to add to the travel anxiety pile I guess. This law is kind of stupid in the 21st century.
A couple of years ago I came through the Cancun airport with 3 computers in my suitcase, all wrapped up with their power supplies. After x-rays they asked me what they were and I told them. They sent me to secondary inspection. Secondary opened the suitcase and asked me what I was doing with all the computers. I told them I was bringing them down for people. They said OK, and set me free. I was ready to pay any duties but I don't think they like the paperwork.

They also didn't find my sudafed.
Never carry the red pseudoephedrine pills as they're too obvious. I think that they are what the meth makers actually use altho I'm not sure. White pseudoephedrine plus antihistamine pills are easier to ignore and work better as well.

Back
Top Bottom