Local dive shop in Venice CA, refuses to fill tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually I applaud the shop owner for refusing to fill tanks. It was suggested by one of the owners at our LDS that they do the same thing for internet purchasers. Buy it from Lesuirepro? Get them to fill it.

It's difficult for any small shop owner to compete obviously. Our LDS shop has a new policy. Need your reg serviced? Free the first time and 10 bucks in the future, plus parts. Bought it online? 50 bucks.

what's wrong with buying things online? it's someone's business as well and they want to eat too!

Al Mialkovsky:
Actually I applaud the shop owner for refusing to fill tanks. It was suggested by one of the owners at our LDS that they do the same thing for internet purchasers. Buy it from Lesuirepro? Get them to fill it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

Who's to say where I bought my gear? Let's say I live in Dallas and buy gear. Then relocate to Los Angeles and bring my gear with me ('cause it's not cheap, you know?). Am I SOL because I relocated? I supported my LDS in Dallas, but the Los Angeles LDS has no idea who I am...

Doesn't sound too fair to me. =(

And you DEFINITELY won't get my business when it's time to buy new gear.

(post edited to remove the second part of Al's quote that I wasn't arguing)

Al Mialkovsky:

It's difficult for any small shop owner to compete obviously. Our LDS shop has a new policy. Need your reg serviced? Free the first time and 10 bucks in the future, plus parts. Bought it online? 50 bucks.

I know the owner of the shop, this was not the reason he refused to fill the tanks. If you want to find out the real reason, give him a call. I personally have had nothing but good experiences with this shop. This is the only shop in the area that has made the investment in a membrane system so that their nitrox fills do not require O2 clean, everyone else does Partial pressure. And of course Sport Chalet still thinks Nitrox is the devil's gas.

dazedone:
And of course Sport Chalet still thinks Nitrox is the devil's gas.

Most people at SC don't know the first thing about nitrox. They are waiting for CAL-OSHA to change their rules to be in line with OSHA rules. Then they'll be pushing classes and gas as if they invented it.

Neil

Aerodog:
I just got back from a dive store in Venice, CA where the owner let me know, REAL CLEAR, what he felt about where I bought my last two scuba tanks. One was mail order, the other was from Sport Chalet. Basically told me to take my business elsewhere. Never have I had this kind of treatment. Its not like I had been in his store before, wasted his time with equipment questions, and then purchased gear from someone else.

Fair is fair.

You need to support your local dive store.

If not, then you need to buy your own compressor.

Hopefully this will serve as an example to all Internet jockeys.

dazedone:
I know the owner of the shop, this was not the reason he refused to fill the tanks. If you want to find out the real reason, give him a call. I personally have had nothing but good experiences with this shop. This is the only shop in the area that has made the investment in a membrane system so that their nitrox fills do not require O2 clean, everyone else does Partial pressure. And of course Sport Chalet still thinks Nitrox is the devil's gas.
unless you are using Luxfer, or Catalina cylinders or Thermo Valves.. All require their products to be maintained oxygen clean for anything other than AIR. Thermo also specifically states they do not recommend PP blending with their products but doesnt go as prohibiting it

The nitrox generated must meet the proper standards (many membrane systems do not) and cant speak for this specific shop..

If this shop is ignoring manufacturer recomendations, I would hope when an accident occurs they get sued, lose and hopefully would teach others to follow the rules. ALWAYS foloow manufacturer recommendations..

Aerodog:
I just got back from a dive store in Venice, CA where the owner let me know, REAL CLEAR, what he felt about where I bought my last two scuba tanks. One was mail order, the other was from Sport Chalet. Basically told me to take my business elsewhere. Never have I had this kind of treatment. Its not like I had been in his store before, wasted his time with equipment questions, and then purchased gear from someone else.
this store owner is digging his own hole,i know a few stores where the owner gets grumpy if you,re not buying from them,i like the Internet and the fact that you,re be able to compare prices instead of paying any price....Peace :wink:

padiscubapro:
If this shop is ignoring manufacturer recomendations, I would hope when an accident occurs they get sued, lose and hopefully would teach others to follow the rules. ALWAYS foloow manufacturer recommendations..

nice guy. why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about manufacturers recommendations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom