Local dive shop in Venice CA, refuses to fill tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YakSpout:
Interesting idea.

I would think that there would be liability issues to be concerned with. (We are in California, after all.)

That's why you do not advertize, and you can "refuse service to anyone"

It kind of limits your liability when you never sell anything.

drbill:
Hmmm... buy my own compressor?
My own compressor experience is probably about average. All things considered (including depreciating the value of the compressor itself) the last time I ran the numbers it cost me nearly a dollar more per fill to do it myself. And gas was cheaper.
Therefore, the only time my personal compressor sees use is at remote sites. Well worth it then.
E.

Aerodog:
I just got back from a dive store in Venice, CA where the owner let me know, REAL CLEAR, what he felt about where I bought my last two scuba tanks. One was mail order, the other was from Sport Chalet. Basically told me to take my business elsewhere. Never have I had this kind of treatment. Its not like I had been in his store before, wasted his time with equipment questions, and then purchased gear from someone else.

Is this dive shop on Lincoln Blvd? If so, I won't bother stopping there anymore.

I too rent from SChalet because of price, but I'll be buying my gear from DiveAndSurf. They never hassel you about where your gear is from.

Roland

I think it would be nice if someone would call the shop owner, notify him about this thread and let him try to defend his position on this issue............plus I like the drama.

I live in Marina del rey, equidistant to Splash, OA, and Sports Chalet. I'm really interested to see how this drama plays out. Is anyone calling the dive shop in question to get their side of the story?

Regarding where to get instruction, I received my NAUI open-water from Mark Artusio, one of the co-owners of West Side Aquatics on Pico and Overland. A really great instructor and a really nice guy, I highly recommend him. I'm also been in the Malibu dive shop, and Carter was very helpful with a regulator issue I had. And he filled my sports chalet tank 2x today, no problem.

Wherever you get instruction, I would recommend a place that has smaller classes. I've heard some places try to train 8 or more students at once, keeping them kneeling on the sand for long periods of time. A place like west side aquatics (and probably other dive shops) will not have more than 4 students in a class, for the same price.

Scott

scottfiji:
I live in Marina del rey, equidistant to Splash, OA, and Sports Chalet. I'm really interested to see how this drama plays out. Is anyone calling the dive shop in question to get their side of the story?

Regarding where to get instruction, I received my NAUI open-water from Mark Artusio, one of the co-owners of West Side Aquatics on Pico and Overland. A really great instructor and a really nice guy, I highly recommend him. I'm also been in the Malibu dive shop, and Carter was very helpful with a regulator issue I had. And he filled my sports chalet tank 2x today, no problem.

Wherever you get instruction, I would recommend a place that has smaller classes. I've heard some places try to train 8 or more students at once, keeping them kneeling on the sand for long periods of time. A place like west side aquatics (and probably other dive shops) will not have more than 4 students in a class, for the same price.

Scott

I'm told by someone who has posted in this thread that the dive shop has been contacted and invited to share their side of the story. That shop hasn't posted yet.

Kevin

scubacalifornia:
I'm told by someone who has posted in this thread that the dive shop has been contacted and invited to share their side of the story. That shop hasn't posted yet.

Kevin

Should make a good read, look forward to it...

scubacalifornia:

Kevin

I doubt they will come to the table. There is little to be gained on their side from doing so.

There are marine electronics companies that won't install electronics that you bought from someone else or over the internet. God bless them.

DennisS:
There are marine electronics companies that won't install electronics that you bought from someone else or over the internet. God bless them.

And I supppose there might be marine companies out there that do a decent business installing the electronics that the above mentioned companies pass on...God bless them, too.

Back
Top Bottom