Lobster Limit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This works most of the time depending on location of lobster: Try to grab them by the carapace and shove to the ground fast and hard. Now you'll have enough of a grip to pull them out of a hole without losing claws in the process.

Another helpful hint for a newbie at lobstering would be to put the smalls back into or near the hole you dragged them out of. Newer lobster divers tend to grab their fair share of shorts, so it's important to put them back where you found them so they can grow up to be breeders and dinner someday. Fish like cod, pollock(SP?), stripers and probably others eat small lobsters as part of their diets. Not to mention that some say lobsters are cannibals and will eat their own(kind of like lawyers). I've been followed around by hungry stripers while lobstering. Apparently, they were looking to make a meal out of a short bug. I guess there's no size limit when you're a striper.

LobstaMan

MASS-Diver:
New lobster divers all to often "cull" lobsters by ripping off a claw. While it's OK to grab a claw, one should use the claw to work up the bug, never just pull a bug out by the claws alone. Ripping off a claw is very poor form. There's actually a considerable amout of touch to catching these things. Practice makes perfect, just try to not to rip off too many claws in the process.

I did about two dives with my lobstering-expert-buddy before I caught one. After getting a lot of abuse from him, i was determined on the next dive to catch one. Came across a big one that had its claws sticking out of the hole pretty far. My plan -- grab both claws quickly from the top before it had a chance to move, then pull gently. One problem -- it was a softshell. I yanked the damn claws right out of him! My buddy was dying laughing and I was holding two claws, looking at him with the "what the hell do I do now" look on my face. I wound up putting the claws back into his hole, as if they were going to do him any good...

So I second the lesson (above) -- don't try to just grab the claws. I'd also add that you want to be quick and firm when grabbing the body, but not too firm. There's always a chance it's a softy and you don't want to crush him (whether he's a keeper or not!).

ClassAction:
I did about two dives with my lobstering-expert-buddy before I caught one. After getting a lot of abuse from him, i was determined on the next dive to catch one. Came across a big one that had its claws sticking out of the hole pretty far. My plan -- grab both claws quickly from the top before it had a chance to move, then pull gently. One problem -- it was a softshell. I yanked the damn claws right out of him! My buddy was dying laughing and I was holding two claws, looking at him with the "what the hell do I do now" look on my face. I wound up putting the claws back into his hole, as if they were going to do him any good...

So I second the lesson (above) -- don't try to just grab the claws. I'd also add that you want to be quick and firm when grabbing the body, but not too firm. There's always a chance it's a softy and you don't want to crush him (whether he's a keeper or not!).

If you end up grabbing claws, grab very far in -- as close to the carapace as possible, and also grab the other one as well. Lobsters have the ability to autonomically drop their claws with almost no pressure, but I've never had a lobster drop its claw when I was holding both of them. It then makes it easy to work the lobster out of its hole (the body follows when both claws are aligned in front of it).

The only time I've really had to do this is after spending a lot of time with a nice fat one that is in too deep or when there's no back door.

Good primer is on PG Dive's site...

ClassAction:
My plan -- grab both claws quickly from the top before it had a chance to move, then pull gently. One problem -- it was a softshell. I yanked the damn claws right out of him! My buddy was dying laughing and I was holding two claws, looking at him with the "what the hell do I do now" look on my face. I wound up putting the claws back into his hole, as if they were going to do him any good...
He probably ate them. Although if I were you, I'd reach in again and pull the rest of the lobster, in case it is of legal size. If not, THEN put everything back :)

Actually, I had not ripped off any claws in a long time. One of the things you learn is not to be greedy -- if you really can not get the lobster out, leave it be.

You know, as weird as it sounds, lobsters have different personalities. Some brave lobsters would not drop a claw no matter what you do to them, some wussy lobsters drop them before you even touch them. All taste the same though…

Chebby:
You know, as weird as it sounds, lobsters have different personalities. Some brave lobsters would not drop a claw no matter what you do to them, some wussy lobsters drop them before you even touch them. All taste the same though…

Definitely. Trevor Corson's "The Secret Life of Lobsters" should be mandatory reading for serious lobster hunters. Or, anyone who just wants a great read of the lobstering community and how's and why's of lobster behavior. You'll never look at lobsters just as dinner again.

localdivah:
Definitely. Trevor Corson's "The Secret Life of Lobsters" should be mandatory reading for serious lobster hunters. Or, anyone who just wants a great read of the lobstering community and how's and why's of lobster behavior. You'll never look at lobsters just as dinner again.

Thanks for the tip, localdiver.

I'm not sure I'll get the book, but I started reading Trevor Corson's Lobster Log:
http://www.secretlifeoflobsters.com/blog/blog.asp

A lot of interesting stuff there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom