Lobster Limit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I searched the board and couldn't find it :(
What is the limit for taking lobsters in MA?

Thanks!

lisa_j:
PDive - you need to have a MA permit. The limits for lobsters are posted on the MA Marine Fisheries site:http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm#lobster

In short, bag limit is 15. Depending on where you lobster, there are size limits.

You rock.

The permit application went out in the mail last week. I couldn't find it on the Fisheries site.

Thanks!
:D

Never caught a Lobster before. Is there a preferred technique that is used? Is the permit good for all of Mass waters?

Preferred technique? You grab the end that doesn't have claws! Seriously, no tools allowed - some prefer to come down from above with both hands, I like to distract with one while I get in behind with the other. You usually get one chance and then they're into a hole. The real trick is to judge the size so as not to waste time catching the undersized ones. At first they all look big enough.

ageddiver:
Preferred technique? You grab the end that doesn't have claws! Seriously, no tools allowed - some prefer to come down from above with both hands, I like to distract with one while I get in behind with the other. You usually get one chance and then they're into a hole. The real trick is to judge the size so as not to waste time catching the undersized ones.

At first they all look big enough.

Thats an understatement! :) You're so right there!

When I first started lobstering they all looked massive to me. Get them on the surface and they look like crawdads and are undersized ( but you're supposed to guage them before bringing them up.) With a little experience you'll be grabbing them out of their holes with one hand. They are slower than people and if you act fast you can snatch them right up without getting nipped.

No eggers allowed and no notches. I had the environment police check me several times last season. Have your license with you.

John C.

Very true, get the size thing down then don't hesitate, snatch and grap. If you thing about it they'll be gone before you know it. Last year was my 1st year bugging and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wait till you come across one over the limit, when you reach in and pull one of these out your on your way. Still fun even though you can't keep it.

Good luck and hapy buggin.

Did someone say lobster! i got the butter ready

Black Dog:
Never caught a Lobster before. Is there a preferred technique that is used? Is the permit good for all of Mass waters?

New lobster divers all to often "cull" lobsters by ripping off a claw. While it's OK to grab a claw, one should use the claw to work up the bug, never just pull a bug out by the claws alone. Ripping off a claw is very poor form. There's actually a considerable amout of touch to catching these things. Practice makes perfect, just try to not to rip off too many claws in the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom