Lobo rates going up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my first thought Cheryl. Even with a full schedule, it is only an extra $300 and that is peanuts.

And aren't there two boats there?

Yes, it is a rescue boat that lives in the Whaler's Cove parking lot. It would be very easy to ID any boats and I'm sure there are legal penalties. If there weren't boats would already be encroaching into the park.

Personally I don't see this as a revenue issue. Even if they have full reservations at 15 teams a day (which they only have on weekends) that is only an extra $300/day. In the whole scheme of things that is peanuts for the Park Service.

Do I like it anymore than anyone else so far. Not at all. Will I boycott Pt. Lobos as a result? Probably not. An extra $10 once or even twice a month to dive there isn't going to break my bank.

There are 2 inflatables in the small boat sheds. One belongs to Carmel Fire and the other to the Lifeguards.

That was my first thought Cheryl. Even with a full schedule, it is only an extra $300 and that is peanuts.

My first thought (possibly wrong) is it is an access issue not a monetary one. I'm tempted to ask Jocie, but don't want to put her on the spot.

I just had a thought. What does the place look like in the parking lot on the weekends when all the divers are there setting up. Does it look like a flea market of dive gear set up on tables and laying everywhere? Do the divers pretty much dominate the scene to where non divers feel squeezed out?
This may have something to do with it since it was mentioned that it probably isn't a revenue issue, rather it sounds to me like a behavior modification move and or possible reduction of an intrusive species known as divers. Maybe they got some complaints from non divers?
Just speculating. Either way, I don't like the incremental ratcheting up of rules by self appointed and self righteous overseers.
Protesting by not showing up is what they want. If you guys want to protest it needs to go way deeper than that. But is it worth it? I mean it's only point Lobos. There are other places to go. I guess you guys would have to decide.

This absolutely ticks me off. It's way beyond a reasonable response. There is nothing quite like Lobos in my experience. Monastery is great and all, but Lobos is unique and has such a variety of awesome dive spots. It'd be tough to think about not diving there anymore. Seems we need a way to protest in some sort of organized way. Anyone have an idea of what that could look like?

I'm with Eric. pitchforks and torches. It seems that the state of cal and the usgvt has lately been in the business of keeping the public out of public lands. Taxes in ca cant be raised without a vote so fees are the new tax. Personally, since this crowd of legislators and associated bureaucracy shows no sign of changing, I'm looking for another place to live and may be have the money to come back to and afford to pay the fees to see the places, that once, I could walk through for free.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
Power to the people my a**.

I'm with Eric. pitchforks and torches. It seems that the state of cal and the usgvt has lately been in the business of keeping the public out of public lands. Taxes in ca cant be raised without a vote so fees are the new tax. Personally, since this crowd of legislators and associated bureaucracy shows no sign of changing, I'm looking for another place to live and may be have the money to come back to and afford to pay the fees to see the places, that once, I could walk through for free.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
Power to the people my a**.
If you 've noticed Bob how they've roped off many/most of the state access points and parks along the coast. I'll start with Russian Gulch in Son. Co. Then top of the hill at the overlook (and a convenient head to use) , the campground right after Pedotti's, Stump Beach, Fisk Mill, all shut down because they can't staff enough people to go into those places and "patrol" it. We already payed for those places many times over. What right do they have to close public lands like that. If it's all about sevicing the pit toilets then lock them up, but don't keep us out of there. So far they haven't done much about going into the closed parks to tell fence jumpers to leave. Their probably too lazy to get out of their trucks. If you notice there are always a bunch of cars parked along the road to hike in, but why can't we just drive in?
I'll bet if we collectively challenged this action we could get it changed.
And if it's a money thing (if they don't have time to check the iron rangers and find the freeloaders) then make it so you have to have an annual pass in your window to park there, I would do it, just don't tell me I can't be there.

We have a new Park Administrator at Lobos. Since his/her appointment, the dive rules have tightened up and now the fees have increased. From a purely bureaucratic standpoint, I can understand the appeal: Casual weekend Lobos visitors pay $10, drive around for 20 minutes and exit the park. The average diver remains in the park for several hours. Without divers, you can get more visitors in/out of the park, thus increase revenues. If we simply stop going to Lobos out of protest, we are doing exactly what they want. With fewer divers visiting, it won't be difficult to justify more fees and tighter restrictions. At this rate, it isn't hard to imagine a future where all diving in the park will be eliminated.

We need to appeal the increase and failing that, start active petitions or protests The CA Parks Monterey District number is (831) 649-2836. Seems like a good place to start so I'll be calling on Monday.

In what way have the dive rules tightened up?

In what way have the dive rules tightened up?

Physical proof of certification required (even for frequent divers known by name), all dive team members must be present at checkin or entry will be denied, reservation transfers will require repayment, no transfers at the gate, etc. While the first two are enforcement of existing rules, the rules around transfers, as far as I know, are not documented.

Back
Top Bottom