Lobo rates going up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't see the reservation forfeit working that well. If someone didn't have reservations but conditions were good, they probably would have headed to monastery or another carmel site to dive that morning already. Can't imagine too many people doing one dive and then packing everything up to go see if there was an open spot at lobos.

Making a reservation should be easier i imagine if group reservations are going to discontinue.

What about anchoring right outside of the park then diving in underwater? Big doubles and scooters should get you in far enough to see stuff right?
I've never dove there so I don't really know the layout....I take it back, I did dive there once. We came in from sea on a really big day. It was breaking right into the main part of the cove. We had to tuck into Blue Fish cove (I think it was anyway). There wasn't a soul in sight that day, we were all alone. But from what I remember it seems like the outer parts could have been explored coming in from outside. Like I said, the conditions were fierce with 14 footers on the outside. Crossing the canyon was also a hair raising event when we were returning up the coast.
I remember Chuck hearing about us doing that and scolding me for it...god bless his soul, I miss him.
If you're parked outside the boundry I don't see how they could do a damn thing about it. They can't prove where you were only where you anchored.

Or maybe I'm missing the whole point? Is the parking lot scene and who you run into and see there somehow part of the experience?

Well first off, you have to have a boat... Honestly though, if I had a capable boat, I would just dive south monastery (or north) rather than deal with the Point Lobos politics.

Since there seems to be a contingent of folks that always have a reservation yet don't always make it. It also seems the monetary considerations of higher fees will not change their actions, so then some type of penalty maybe should apply?

x number of missed reservations in x time = diving privileges suspended for x time?

Well first off, you have to have a boat... Honestly though, if I had a capable boat, I would just dive south monastery (or north) rather than deal with the Point Lobos politics.

Since there seems to be a contingent of folks that always have a reservation yet don't always make it. It also seems the monetary considerations of higher fees will not change their actions, so then some type of penalty maybe should apply?

x number of missed reservations in x time = diving privileges suspended for x time?
Yeah but then somebody has to keep track of that and all the added steps of babysitting, which will add to personnel needed, which will add to the price, and will even add more to the politics.

My original question, Is it really that over run with divers that they need to do all this?
What is their problem exactly? has anybody interviewed any of them and had a discussion?

My original question, Is it really that over run with divers that they need to do all this?
What is their problem exactly? has anybody interviewed any of them and had a discussion?

Very good questions. Now how do we get them answered honestly?

---------- Post added December 18th, 2014 at 05:53 PM ----------

Is the parking lot scene and who you run into and see there somehow part of the experience?

It is nice to meet and chat with other divers. I'm not the most social person out there, but I do like to say hi, and it is something I do like there. Breakwater has too many people there to reliably meet up with divers I know by accident.

The draw for me is: Almost always a safe entry. I can almost always find something to see and enjoy even if the viz isn't the best. The surge doesn't bother me, but surf entries do. I can get the same scenery with a dive from Monastery Beach, but Monastery is too much work for my 57 yo bones and not as safe for me. The close parking to the entry and the fresh water is a bonus. If the day is a complete diving bust there is always a good hike.

There are times that I would love to dive Lobos instead of Monterey Bay, but don't like the surf conditions on the Carmel side. I have called the ranger to see if there are any open spots. It would be nice to fill an unused one.

Since I now have a suitable kayak, and wheels to move it to the beach, I may find the extreme south beach on Monastery suitable more often. We'll have to see.

How about a maximum number of reservations per diver for a month. Or set number of weekend days. That way more divers have a chance to get in on the popular days. I also like 3D's idea if you haven't checked in by a certain time, say 11-12, then the spot is opened up.

They sort of do that anyway, or at least they used too. They would eye ball the list and wave you in if not full but past the prime entry. I like adding the time control as well, that also could help gate the amount of dive traffic and parking issues gated across morning and afternoon.

Oh but wait, that is a website upgrade, now they have to raise rates again, you know html and Java talent around is so very scarce...

Of course hikers can stay all day too and they don't have put up with this **** so... Still not exactly equitable IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The draw for me is: Almost always a safe entry.

I have dived all the Monterey area dive sites under really miserable conditions. That includes Monastery with some really big rollers coming onto the beach. The only place I have ever been hurt is on that ramp at Point Lobos. About 6 years ago I slipped walking out, came down on my face, and broke my shoulder. More people have been injured on that ramp than at any other place in the area.

I have dived all the Monterey area dive sites under really miserable conditions. That includes Monastery with some really big rollers coming onto the beach. The only place I have ever been hurt is on that ramp at Point Lobos. About 6 years ago I slipped walking out, came down on my face, and broke my shoulder. More people have been injured on that ramp than at any other place in the area.

Maybe they need tge rake hike to finally put in that rail :p.

Have you tried the old stairs? At high tide that is safer IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Bruce. I had you in mind when I called the ramp a slime covered death trap. I hate walking on that thing. Griffon where are the stairs? I'd love to see stairs put in like they have on Catalina at the Avalon park.

Hey Bruce. I had you in mind when I called the ramp a slime covered death trap. I hate walking on that thing. Griffon where are the stairs? I'd love to see stairs put in like they have on Catalina at the Avalon park.
And no fee to dive Catalina with stairs

Back
Top Bottom