Lobo rates going up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's crazy. You can almost do a day of boat diving for what it costs you to get into the park! I understand that divers use water (which probably most hikers and photographers don't) and that there is maintenance to the boat ramp (which hikers don't need) but this seems like a ridiculous overcharge. It would definitely impact my decision to make a 14 hour road trip to Monterey again.
The hikers and tide poolers actually have more impact than divers. Even if a diver ran into something underwater and squashes a red strawberry anemone it's not a big deal, the ocean is very resilient and besides most divers who go there really try to keep it hands and body free off the reefs.
Hikers on the other hand might step on a flower or something or walk where they're not suppose to.

100% increase for diver fee, padding board and kayak. And 500% increase for boat luanch. Great job Lobo

What, boat fee and such still says $5, just grain pic. Doesn't look like that changed only the diver fee.
Honestly I think they just don't like us, we use all those valuable parking spaces for hours :p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What, boat fee and such still says $5, just grain pic. Doesn't look like that changed only the diver fee.
Honestly I think they just don't like us, we use all those valuable parking spaces for hours :p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last line of the 2nd paragraph: boat launch $25.

I got turned off to Lobos because I was tired of paying for a reservation well in advance. Then as the day gets closer, finding out the conditions are poor. Same thing for scheduling a boat dive. Besides I'm cheap and that slime covered death trap of a ramp scares me.

Yes, I think the whole reservation system should be junked. You cannot predict two months in advance whether a given day is going to be a reasonable diving day. There is a set of people who routinely make reservations two months out just on the off chance they are actually going to use them. Doubling the price for a reservation is not going to deter them from continuing to make that gamble. Let access to dive Point Lobos be just like getting a parking spot at Breakwater on a Saturday morning: first come, first served.

Let access to dive Point Lobos be just like getting a parking spot at Breakwater on a Saturday morning: first come, first served.

No Please!

When I started diving Lobos it was first come first served, no reservations. This meant driving down and getting in line at the gate at about 3AM! You'd drive down, park in line, then take a stroll counting cars to see if you were going to get in.

The reservation system is much better, warts and all.

Sadly, the best customers from their perspective are the ones that pay but don't use.

One way to address this would be to have a set check-in time, which could be negotiated when you make the reservation, after which the reservation is forfeited and the spot freed for walk-in divers.

I'd like to see them open up other areas of the reserve to outside charters. Those running a charter would have to be well versed in the dive restrictions of the park. Lobos could tack on a fee for the reserve. I'm not talking Bluefish cove. I mean the other spots that are not open. Lobos would not have to worry about individual reservations and they could make additional money. I don't think it would turn into the "Molokini" of Carmel.

How about a maximum number of reservations per diver for a month. Or set number of weekend days. That way more divers have a chance to get in on the popular days. I also like 3D's idea if you haven't checked in by a certain time, say 11-12, then the spot is opened up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom