living barnacles in the body

where to get help help with barnicles living in your body

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Ok, parasitic barancles do exist in nature: Body-Snatching Barnacles and Zombie Crabs

But I think the orignal poster may have been confused on names. :confused:

That's VERY disturbing on so many levels. Glad I'm not a crab. Reminds me of the movie ALIENS on a crustacean level. :007:

Sea ya!

I have a similar issue. I'm a surfer and I stepped on some barnacles getting out of the water a few years ago. Some broke off in my foot and maybe I didn't clean it out sufficiently or quick enough. But ever since then I've have a black spot on my big toe and another on the ball of my foot. The one in my toe is deep in the callused area and every few months I try to cut it out and dig it all out with tweezers and it always comes back within a few weeks. I have forgotten to mention this to my doctors every time I visit but I think I might make a special appointment just for this issue next week. I'll let you know what they say and how it goes.

hello everyone,
im trying to help a friend, 20 years a ago she was pushed out of a boat, she landed on a oyster bed in the bay / gulf waters of houston. present in both feet attached to the bottom ligament of the foot is a barnicle, living, sometimes it gets bigger, red, and sore.......sometimes it gets enlarged and sore for long periods........but goes back to its original size.
Recently its been real sore and under 1 foot it multiplied thers now 2 of them.
Is there anyone with any info on this issue, or is there a facility that can help with this problem.
Please all help and info is needed.

Thank you much
Rocketdog

I know alot of people don't believe this but just watch Season 7 Episode 3 of "Monsters Inside Me".

That deserves some research. Interesting case, thank you for posting.

Best regards,
DDM

Um, no. As others have suggested, it could be fragments embedded in the foot. Barnacles are filter-feeding crustaceans. Unless your friend is dipping her foot into the bay multiple times per day so that the living animal can hydrate its gills and filter feed, then it is impossible for the animal to remain alive on/in her foot. Barnacles are not parasites, they are simply ectofauna that use surface substrates to access open water for feeding and respiration. Sorry, but the idea that a barnacle has remained alive on a human foot for 20 years is just ridiculous. If you actually have a doctor who believes this, then find another physician.

Amen, RyanT.

And calling it ridiculous is charitable.

Regards,

DocVikingo

In the interest of full exploration of this topic, I'm trying to get in contact with the physician who was featured in the episode that jfelts linked. I've also contacted the barnacle experts at the Duke Marine Lab.

Best regards,
DDM

I know alot of people don't believe this but just watch Season 7 Episode 3 of "Monsters Inside Me".
I watched that episode. The poor man had barnacles growing in his hand. It took multiple surgeries after a great deal of misdiagnoses. Just sounds so horribly painful!

the barnacle experts at the Duke Marine Lab.
You actually have one?

I watched that episode. The poor man had barnacles growing in his hand. It took multiple surgeries after a great deal of misdiagnoses. Just sounds so horribly painful!
Sorry, I have not had TV in my home since 1988. Is this for real?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom