living barnacles in the body

where to get help help with barnicles living in your body

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a barnacle in my ear once after cleaning a boat hull....very painful! Got it out rinsing my ear with alcohol

rocketdog:
hello everyone,
im trying to help a friend, 20 years a ago she was pushed out of a boat, she landed on a oyster bed in the bay / gulf waters of houston. present in both feet attached to the bottom ligament of the foot is a barnicle, living, sometimes it gets bigger, red, and sore.......sometimes it gets enlarged and sore for long periods........but goes back to its original size.
Recently its been real sore and under 1 foot it multiplied thers now 2 of them.
Is there anyone with any info on this issue, or is there a facility that can help with this problem.
Please all help and info is needed.

Thank you much
Rocketdog
If this is true its very very unusual. Can you take a picture of it?

Parasites can exist in the human body and live for a long time, but the body will not take it lightly, leading to quite a reaction around the parasite and deformation of the organ, in this case the foot.

The person you need to see first is an Internist or an infectious disease doctor. He can then refer you to a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon for an excision after he confirms its a problem requiring surgery.

Barnacles live on objects, not in objects. That is how they get their food supply.

If there was such thing as a parasitic internal barnacle, we would have seen them inside of whales, not just on their skin.

Ok, parasitic barancles do exist in nature: Body-Snatching Barnacles and Zombie Crabs

But I think the orignal poster may have been confused on names. :confused:

DandyDon:
Ok, parasitic barancles do exist in nature: Body-Snatching Barnacles and Zombie Crabs

I've heard of those. Good thing they don't live in humans. :lol:

I think the OP was confused about his girlfriend's condition. The mycobacterium marinus nfection is hard to get rid of and so obscure it could go on for years unidentified. It is my understanding that granules and lesions develop. If there is a small piece of shell, I could see an autoimmune response happening even if the infection has been eradicated.

Can anyone say "carnero catfish"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom