Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were to make a crass generalization based on one jerk on a live-aboard, I would be refusing to dive with Canadians!
(Peeweediver and his lovely wife know whereof I speak...)
Generally one of the things I love about diving is that I meet people from many walks of life, and we all share our love of diving and the sea.

... omissis ...

However, saying "looking for...with fewer older diver" can be a bit insulting to older divers. Think about if you said, "with fewer black divers" or "fewer women divers" or fewer any characteristic of divers.
... omissis ...

Rob

Maybe saying ".. with fever divers" could be harmless and wishful for having the boat not crowded ...

All she had to say was "Looking for a younger skewing boat". It is inclusion vs exclusion that is the problem. There is a big difference when saying, "i would rather be on a boat with younger people" vs "I don't want to be on a boat with old people". The former comes off as a preference and the latter comes off as a dislike.

I was on 2 liveaboards and on each there was one couple or a person my age or younger. From what I remember, I did not talk much to any of them. Now I think back, strange, ah? Maybe I work in tech and need a break from the younger crowd to which I am exposed on daily basis.. Maybe I find younger or similarly aged people not engaging.. Going on the 3rd one in a few days, we'll see.

I was on 2 liveaboards and on each there was one couple or a person my age or younger. From what I remember, I did not talk much to any of them. Now I think back, strange, ah? Maybe I work in tech and need a break from the younger crowd to which I am exposed on daily basis.. Maybe I find younger or similarly aged people not engaging.. Going on the 3rd one in a few days, we'll see.

Or perhaps whether or not you find someone engaging has more to do with their mind than their age. Age is such a silly discrimination choice

YES @Scott from LongIsland ! Age really is "such a silly discrimination choice"! It seemed so much more important when I was much younger - and has become less and less important as I age. When you're a teenage it simply isn't appropriate to hang out with people who are 10 years older/younger than you. My life is enriched by people of all ages and their differing experiences of life (not crazy about kids now that mine are in their mid 20's - but the little girls who live down the street and seem to have a school fundraiser every week are kinda cute!). :)

All that said, if you're naturally an introvert, LOBs can be a challenge and an opportunity to stretch those socialization muscles.

You can do your own thing all you want but make sure you are memorable enough to somebody so they notice you are not on the boat when it starts to leave! Only half joking.so consider that...

And I'm only half-serious when I wear my "Warning: Spontaneously Talks About Scuba Diving" T-shirt just for that purpose. It gets a lot of comments on dive boats.

It's probably already been suggested to the OPPOSITION TO, but perhaps they should look for liveaboards in bacpacking destinations such as Thailand. While I was diving there, the boats were mostly younger folks... but none seemed to have any problem talking to this "old" geezer.

If I go some place like Scuba Club Cozumel I'm rarely the oldest diver on the boat. There is one woman that I see annually that is now probably 80, but I didn't ask. This guess was based upon how many years she was diving before certification courses were available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom