Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well indulging in ageism while you complain of sexism and racism is kind asking for it... but I hope the OP didn't really mean to do that. I can understand her desire to meet people her own age on a boat; fish often school with similar age fish too. Anyway, it led to an interesting discussion and I hope she can take it all with a sense of humor and use the good tips on locating the type of boats she's seeking and find some young buddies, if she does continue diving. I am sorry she was called an unkind name and made uncomfortable on her trip.

King of Battle:

You make some good points. Perhaps there was a more judicious way to title the thread than 'Liveaboard with fewer old people.' That was pretty much going to rub some folks the wrong way. Hoping to connect with more people roughly 'where you are in life' isn't bad.

Richard.
I think the issue is that too many people use their eyes and not their ears when trying to make these type of decisions...

Hey guys, I'm curious as to why everyone is up in arms about our young friend hogging a lounger but no one's got any problem with some old fart calling someone else a cockroach! Can any of you explain this to me please?

I am going to claim "not everyone" and I was / am not the only one treating this carefully and maybe less judging - after all, I was not there. See post #80:
Liveaboard with fewer old people?

But then, being of the other sex, another race and another age group, there also would be no way I could have worded what @outofofficebrb did quite well in post #132, w/o coming across quite differently.

In the end, w/o further input by the OP or someone who actually was there, all that can happen here is more and more speculating with the few bits of information at hand. No insights can really be added.

Last edited:
I recorded a couple of segments for this coming Saturday's "Scuba Radio" with "Greg the Divemaster" and this thread was discussed in the very first segment. He comes on @ 3:00 pm EST and will post it as a podcast the next day. Again, I believe I'm in the first few segments in the first hour of the show. www.ScubaRadio.com
Well indulging in ageism while you complain of sexism and racism is kind asking for it.
That's the big problem I had with this discussion. It's hard to see bias in yourself, so if someone is offended by your bias, it merits a closer look. I was the only white kid in my Jr High for all of 7th grade and the first half of 8th grade. My immersion therapy really taught me not to look at color, but at character. Later in life, I went to work for the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company as a mechanic. I was hired by a black lady and about a year or so into it, she asked me to come into her office where she informed me that she thought I was mildly racist. Say what??? She cited that I did not give her the respect she thought she deserved and my response was that I showed no one the respect they thought that they deserved. IOW, I was an equal opportunity annoyer. I was shocked, hurt and not convinced that she was even close to being right. Yes, I told her about my Jr High experience to which she simply told me that she couldn't believe it. Ouch. The very next day her husband came in with his very best friend. When I heard his voice, there was no mistaking that I knew him from Jr High: it was Rodney P and we were in band together. Our reunion was lively with our special handshake from back then and his proclamation to my supervisor and her husband that I was the only white mofo in our entire Jr High. It was awesome, and her jaw hit the floor. No, she never apologised for calling me a racist but she had to rethink her stance. She just wasn't used to being treated no differently than anyone else. However, that incident changed how I interacted with her. I couldn't trust her to take things the right way anymore, so I stopped joking with her. I was just as friendly but just guarded. A dozen years later, after I had been transferred all over Central Florida dealing with service issues at various stores, she and I met at another Goodyear. After a few pleasantries, she confided that she had regretted calling me a racist and had felt the chill in our relationship afterwards. Apparently, that had made her confront her own biases about white males. Not all of us are racists. It was good, and frankly, I felt that I could have joked with her again after that. However, we went our own ways and that was that.

No one is without bias, including myself. As tolerant and inclusive as I think I am, I still have plenty of room to improve. When I am perfect, I'll call the obviously biased people in the world "cockroaches". Until then, I'll keep those verbal "stones" to myself.

Hey guys, I'm curious as to why everyone is up in arms about our young friend hogging a lounger but no one's got any problem with some old fart calling someone else a cockroach! Can any of you explain this to me please?
Actually, in post #74 I did address this issue although I did not specifically quote the name he called her, but rather his behaviour (as reported) in general.

I recorded a couple of segments for this coming Saturday's "Scuba Radio" with "Greg the Divemaster" and this thread was discussed in the very first segment. He comes on @ 3:00 pm EST and will post it as a podcast the next day. Again, I believe I'm in the first few segments in the first hour of the show. www.ScubaRadio.com

Hey, we’re famous! Or maybe just you. :wink: that’s neat!

Hey, we’re famous! Or maybe just you. :wink: that’s neat!
I used to be on almost every other week, but now that I live on the end of the digital dirt road, I don't have the juice to stream.

King_of_battle, excellent post! Thanks for speaking up.

Last edited:
Certainly beaten this sucker to death, haven't we? Taking King of Battle and Richard's posts together, I am in full agreement. Nothing wrong with searching for a make-up of divers that you'd be comfortable with. However, saying "looking for...with fewer older diver" can be a bit insulting to older divers. Think about if you said, "with fewer black divers" or "fewer women divers" or fewer any characteristic of divers. It's how you frame things that can be hurtful or excluding. Anyway, it certainly hit a nerve. We all love diving. We all want to pass this love on to the next generation. However, we do not want to be the person others don't want to dive with based solely on physical characteristics or age. So, there you go. Nuff said. Time to daydream about my wife and my next trip.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom