Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivorynightfall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been on 3 liveaboards now, and Mike Ball in Australia was the only one that wasn't average age 50! Last few have been explorer ventures, maybe I need to start branching out to different companies.

I love liveaboards but as a person in my twenties I really have nothing to talk about with people in their sixties. I love the alone time but am wondering if there are liveaboards with more people my age or even 30-40?

Liveaboards are expensive and many younger people might find them difficult to afford. Perhaps less expensive boats would attract a younger crowd? I'm guessing that Blackbeard's would attract a younger demographic, but the accommodations are not as nice as they are on Explorer Ventures.

Maybe you should look for a local dive club or activities with your local dive shop to find other divers your age? Perhaps you could find others your age that would like to share vacations?

It is very understandable that you would enjoy vacationing with people your age, but who knows? You might benefit from talking to people in their sixties - and they might benefit from talking to you, too!

Last edited:
You didn't say if you travel single or with a buddy? The site below is for single divers, it is not a dating site but they offer trips for people that are single (or in a relationship but don't have a buddy). I am not saying that all single divers are younger, but they might have some offerings that would be of interest to you.

I don't have any personal experience with this site, but they have been around for some time, so they seem legit.

SingleDivers.com - Home

Last edited:
I've been on 3 liveaboards now, and Mike Ball in Australia was the only one that wasn't average age 50! Last few have been explorer ventures, maybe I need to start branching out to different companies.

I love liveaboards but as a person in my twenties I really have nothing to talk about with people in their sixties. I love the alone time but am wondering if there are liveaboards with more people my age or even 30-40?
I've always wondered if this was the case. I've been thinking about trying to book a trip, but as a buddy-less diver in my 30s, I sort of suspected that most folks would be quite a bit older than me. Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course. Might be a great learning opportunity!

:rofl3:

50 is old ?? :rofl3:

Interesting discussion. As two old farts in their 60s, our live-a-board experiences the last 10 years has been outstanding. We could not do these trips in our 20s (not enough money), in our 30s or 40s (kids, college expenses, etc.) and have just been doing them the last 10 years. We travel with two LDS groups (I am an very part-time instructor for both shops). One group is mostly late 20-30s and the other is mostly 50s-60s. We enjoy being with the young group and think they are ok with us. We have a few 20-something folks (singles) with our older group and they have joined the trips every year for the past 5 years. We talk diving. That is the common thread and it's a blast talking to folks with 1000+ dives and folks with 50-100 as well as folks of all ages. We also talk about whatever seems fun and have built relationships with all ages. As a 20-something, you are our kids age and we need all the insight we can get, so you might have to fend us off from seeking constant advice from you. Most of my dive pals around my age have more to chat with you about then you might realize. One of our 20-somethings in the older group invited some of us to her PhD dissertation. I didn't understand a word but it was cool to be there with her family to support her.
You will be able to find younger persons' live-a-boards...Blackbeards, some Aggressors, etc. When you start looking at the Coral Triangle, etc. it's bigger bucks and those of us who have freed ourselves of house payments, kids' college costs, etc. have an easier time doing this. Also, time off. I could not take 2 weeks for a single trip until into my 40s. Now, who cares? Finally, heavy partying on a live-a-board is rare :cheers: so us old folks won't cramp your style. Hook-ups however, you can kind of forget it on our trips. :) :p
Don't despair. Look for travel groups or LDS shop trips and ask about age make-up. Keep diving and you'll find your sweet spot for group make-up.

Rob

Last edited:
Try Blackbeards - most of us old people don't like to camp at sea...

Blackbeard's Cruises Bahamas Dive Liveaboards - Official Website

Possibly some of the smaller sailing yachts also as they typically aren't ensuite so I don;t even consider them. Cat PPalu or Lost Island Voyages are two.

I agree with the others - we didn't start diving liveaboards - or even going to exotic dive destinations - till we could afford it in our late 40's/50's. Before that we'd often dive on family vacations when we could.

Last edited:
Don’t let Peeweediver fool you, he’s a riot on a live aboard—till about 9 PM :wink: (I sometimes make it to 9:30!)
Personally I’ve always enjoyed the mixed ages on a boat but different strokes and all that. The more rustic boats probably attract a younger crowd.

Deborah

Get a buddy or even local group and book the trip together. I like getting a few buddies and finding a captain. That way we have more say in planning and everybody is a friend or at least friend of a friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom