Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I often have insomnia and also get Mal du Mer until I get my Sea Legs... @Lorenzoid you are missing out on all the interesting conversations you can have while straddling a heaving underway boat's mid line at 3AM and keeping your eyes on the horizon after paying tribute to King Neptune at the rail!

Where does one find all this time to be social?

I'm not the biggest fan of night diving. I don't dislike it, but I'll usually only do one to two. I DO LOVE being on the open ocean at night watching a "big sky," full of stars, and no light pollution. The crew usually accommodates a request to turn off/or mute the upper deck lights for full effect. There's generally another soul on board that enjoys the view. It's sometimes quite amazing what you learn while watching satellites trace across the sky. :daydream:

you are missing out on all the interesting conversations you can have while straddling a heaving underway boat's mid line at 3AM and keeping your eyes on the horizon after paying tribute to King Neptune at the rail!

Yikes...another good reason to turn the lights off...:vomit: :wink:

I often have insomnia and also get Mal du Mer until I get my Sea Legs... @Lorenzoid you are missing out on all the interesting conversations you can have while straddling a heaving underway boat's mid line at 3AM and keeping your eyes on the horizon after paying tribute to King Neptune at the rail!
I am not really around boat talk long enough yet to say this with certainty, but I think you may have succeeded in romanticizing mal du mer...

@aquacat8 's post #156 was brilliant, but what occurs to me is: Just how much time on an liveaboard does one spend, on average, interacting socially with other divers?

Hmmm... I try to spend as much time as I can interacting with other divers here at home, on land-based dive trips and on liveaboards. Although my focus is on filming the critters, I also enjoy getting to know divers from around the world and have made a number of friends that way. I thought the OP showed a bit of immaturity in not being open to us old geezers.

Hey guys, I'm curious as to why everyone is up in arms about our young friend hogging a lounger but no one's got any problem with some old fart calling someone else a cockroach! Can any of you explain this to me please?

I think it's the fact that the OP then seemed to choose to lump all older divers in the same category of person as the "old fart." Almost universally, I don't think anyone would condone his behavior, and I did see several posts to that effect. But the OP chose to denigrate an entire generation (or more) of divers, rather than making it about the individual's behavior.

Hey guys, I'm curious as to why everyone is up in arms about our young friend hogging a lounger but no one's got any problem with some old fart calling someone else a cockroach! Can any of you explain this to me please?

And isn't our generation mature enough to handle a young person without getting all butt hurt? Talk about a bunch of egos . . .

I am also not convinced that the comment was not provoked given what she wrote here and in the other thread. Sometimes the "victim" needs to own some of the blame, however unpopular a sentiment that may be.

for my part, not butt hurt, just not particularly sympathetic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom