Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, my ideal liveaboard would also have vacationers retired or on break from a variety of interesting professions, and a crew with some young people because they’re as pretty as coral and good at slinging tanks, and at least one fabulous cook in the galley. Whatever your politics, even if you wrote in Richard Nixon for the last four elections without realizing he’s dead, I promise we’ll get along—I have lots of experience with this from dealing with my own family ;-) Who would be on your ideal liveaboard?

Who would be on your ideal liveaboard?

Me. I can get along with most anyone else and if I can't well I can't hear them underwater.

This is an example of age bigotry and it stinks. I'm not too old to be interesting. I'm not too old to be a great diver. I'm not too old to learn something new. I'm not too old to be useful. I'm definitely not too old to be 'hip'. :D :D :D

If you're an inflexible person, then diving is probably not for you. Things rarely go precisely the way you think they should and that's the beauty of diving: you never know what's next. Boats are late, the weather changes, sea conditions fluctuate, critters are never where you think they're supposed to be, wetsuits shrink, and old people sneak on these liveaboards just to torment the youngsters.

Maybe Boat Etiquette should be a specialty course. I think the OP felt unfairly attacked when actually she had violated a cardinal rule of boat etiquette: thou shalt not hog space.

Maybe Boat Etiquette should be a specialty course. I think the OP felt unfairly attacked when actually she had violated a cardinal rule of boat etiquette: thou shalt not hog space.
Perhaps, but it's hard to teach common sense and common courtesy. I find that the path away from selfishness to actually giving a damn is a long one hampered by ignorance, indifference and pride.

I learned kindness from my Marine Dad, tolerance from my teacher Mom and humility from the billions of mistakes I've made over the years. I haven't perfected any of those, but at least I try! :D I am attracted to anyone of any age or background who displays even the rudiments of kindness, tolerance and humility.

@aquacat8 's post #156 was brilliant, but what occurs to me is: Just how much time on an liveaboard does one spend, on average, interacting socially with other divers? There's some conversation at meals. You may have 15 minutes to spend on the lounge deck between having put on dry clothes for the next meal and being called to the meal. A few people may hang around for a while after dinner. If you don't do the night dive, then I suppose there is more time in the evening. To me, the dive-eat-sleep-repeat schedule typically feels so packed I hardly have time to really engage in much more than brief chit-chat with anyone if I wanted to. Some people I have met have seemed interesting, but as much as I would have liked to chat with them, there was rarely time to engage in much beyond the basics of where people are from, where they have dived, etc. Where does one find all this time to be social?

Of course, on a liveaboard I go to bed at 9 pm because I'm old. Maybe there are parties late into the night I don't know about.

Back
Top Bottom