Liveaboard fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also smoke detectors have radioactive components in them, don’t they? I’d be worried about trying to travel internationally with one…
Thats what i though aswell! Might be a problem while flying?

Also smoke detectors have radioactive components in them, don’t they? I’d be worried about trying to travel internationally with one…
I doubt that there would be a problem, most agents have seen one before, but you can carry it in your carry-on so you can explain.

Fire on boats scare me..
I am in Hurghada soon, doing a 7 days liveaboard. Thats really scary
I recently was in Hurghada and we did have an actual situation. We had quite heavy storms end of March and during the crossing from Brothers to North, I woke up with the smoke alarm, quickly verified in below deck hallway that there was smoke. I had my emergency drybag ready so I woke up the next cabin and went to upper deck. We woke up the crew and guides and they found that due storm, water was coming into the front cabins and this short circuited the electrics starting the smoke. Lucky that it did not turn into a full fire. People staying in those cabins were in fact not sleeping there (they were sleeping on upper deck lounge area) because they already had water entering the cabin in the first day.
We had smoke alarms working luckly, but smoke alarms are not that loud, I have relatively light sleep, so, I was able to hear it. People sleeping in the top deck did not hear anything. Anyway, my recommendation to everyone is to play through the fire scenario in your heads in the first day, and make sure you know exactly how you will respond.

We woke up the crew and guides and they found that due storm, water was coming into the front cabins and this short circuited the electrics starting the smoke.
It's hard to believe that after the several recent incidents involving fires on liveaboards that you still needed to wake up the crew to inform them of the problem. As I recall, the crews of both the Conception and and Red Sea Aggressor were all asleep when the fires broke out on their boats too.

Thank goodness everyone got out safely and we did not have a situation like the Concepcion in California once again. Boat fires in the engine room usually due to fuel issue (spills, vapors...).

It's hard to believe that after the several recent incidents involving fires aboard liveaboards that you still needed to wake up the crew to inform them of the problem. As I recall, the crews of both the Conception and and Red Sea Aggressor were all asleep when the fires broke out on their boats too.
I do not want to be unfair, I was told that real fire alarm is really loud that noone can miss. This was just smoke alarm placed in each cabin and is not very loud. There was night watch checks and scanning code to document that checks conducted. I guess it is normal that the guests hear it first. But again, at what point real fire alarm would kick in, I do not know.
Thank goodness everyone got out safely and we did not have a situation like the Concepcion in California once again. Boat fires in the engine room usually due to fuel issue (spills, vapors...).
Agree, mostly engine room or kitchen, I normally go through both scenarios.

You should hear the fire alarm as part of your onboard brief before sailing. You should also be briefed and hear (in my opinion) what the signals are for man overboard and abandon ship and where the muster stations and life jackets are.

If those things aren't covered in the brief ask.

Don't these boats have an automatic fire suppression system in the engine room? @Wookie ?

I just returned from a week on the Belize Aggressor IV. We had a very detailed briefing before sleeping the first night, we did not leave the dock until the next morning. Nine of the ten cabins are on the main deck. The primary entry/exit is onto the dive deck. I reserved a room next to this door. There was a large, freely accessible emergency exit at the other end of the hall. There was a dedicated crew member who was the roving night watch every night. I saw him each morning.

I started packing an escape drybag before the Conception and Red Sea Aggressor I fires and sinkings, wallet, documents, keys, flashlight with strobe, water. Glad I have never used it.

Back
Top Bottom