Little present to myself. I think I did pretty well.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for misunderstanding Luis. I was thinking the Valley-Girl "L" to the forehead stood for Looser, not that I've ever been flashed one mind you. If it's "Lots-a-Love", I will take all of that I can get, as I seem to be running a constant deficit! So thanks then.

You and the other fellows have been very generous with your advice, and I REALLY appreciate it a lot. I think as most men get older, their circles get pretty small, for various reasons, so it's been great to meet some new CYBER-FOLKS with some common interest. Not too many divers, let alone double-hosers in these parts.

So thanks again, very much. Will see what I can get done tonight once things quiet down at the ranch and maybe take a photo or two.

Fred

Just wait until we cut your hoses and burn your snorkel.

N

Sorry for misunderstanding Luis. I was thinking the Valley-Girl "L" to the forehead stood for Looser, not that I've ever been flashed one mind you. If it's "Lots-a-Love", I will take all of that I can get, as I seem to be running a constant deficit! So thanks then.

You and the other fellows have been very generous with your advice, and I REALLY appreciate it a lot. I think as most men get older, their circles get pretty small, for various reasons, so it's been great to meet some new CYBER-FOLKS with some common interest. Not too many divers, let alone double-hosers in these parts.

So thanks again, very much. Will see what I can get done tonight once things quiet down at the ranch and maybe take a photo or two.

Fred

The vintage bunch that I have had the pleasure of meeting and diving with are somewhat of a crusty bunch but once you get past the somewhat rough exterior you will not find a nicer more welcoming bunch. Once you get the RAM going, you need to plan on joining us at Sand Dog VII, an annual vintage dive meet that will be in Fla next April. Hopefully several of the folks you have met here will be in attendance, I plan to be there.

Last winter I got a DA Navy Approved reg with a perfect lable. So I wanted to make sure that I did nothing to damage the paint when taking out the remains of a rock hard duckbill. So I placed the can into a sauce pan of water and cascade dish washing detergent (it was all set as that is what I use for cleaning any reg) and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Most of the duckbill had soften and came out. Another 10-15 minutes and I had a clean horn. It takes time, but is very gentle to the can.

RegSoup.jpg

.... Once you get the RAM going, you need to plan on joining us at Sand Dog VII, an annual vintage dive meet that will be in Fla next April. Hopefully several of the folks you have met here will be in attendance, I plan to be there.

That sounds like a lot of fun.

I deserve a little time off the leash !

This old rubber gue is some pretty tough stuff !

I'm kinda worried about the DB sticking to any residue, but I don't know if every last bit will ever come off, with anything that won't kill the sticker or chrome.

A trip out the window is no kidding !

How clean is clean enough ?

Well... a late night and plenty of beer, is the mother of invention, as they say !

I went with the toothbrush / nylon scraper suggestion.
Got a new, clear stiff nylon one from the closet and headded for the shop.
After a lot of filing of the non brush end, I made what amounts to a prision shank.
Rounded but tapered chisel point, with some very sharp square edges.
Excellent in the horn for digging front to back wise, and scraping side to side.

I have decided, this is THE tool for this job.

Gave it a little alcohol wipe down to finish off the fines, and I think it's ready to go. :) !

Did loose some chrome in the process, but not too woried about the return side.
On the supply side, however, the diaphragm seemed to pull up a good bit around the edge of the can. I gave the metal an easy rub with my shank to knock off the loose bits, but they kinda keep comming off. The asthetics aren't a big concern, esp. because this in on the inside, but it doesn't seem like a great idea to breathe in any of these little bits.

Is this typical ?

Guess I will continue to rub off the loose, and hope the new silicone does not want to bond with the chrome as the rubber has. New parts should be here from VDH mid week!!! I ordered the recomended list. Very excited!

This era RAM can take 3000psi, yes? more? or do I need to stick with 72 steel pressures?

Off to the rack for now.

I believe that example has a standard long yoke so it should be OK for 3,000 but was intended for 2250/2475. The last examples had a heavier yoke that easily handles 3,000 psi.

N

IMO any RAM can handle 3000 psi without any concern. The mechanism is the same as any modern Aqua Lung so it can handle the same as any modern regulator.

The yoke in yours is the tire wheel yoke (aka the long yoke), which can easily handle 3000 psi. It should even handle 3500 psi without any structural issue, but if it is not seated properly it may flex enough for the O-ring to extrude. I would personally use it with 3000 psi without any concern, but limit its use with any 3500 psi tanks.

update… new silicone parts arrived from VDH!

Last of the sticky goo cleaned out of can, got everything put back together,
and all seems to be working very well if I do say so.
Diving report is that while visibility in the guest bathroom is better than average, the current is tough and unpredictable!!! Hopefully a more ambitious but colder splash this weekend.

DSC08861.jpg

How’s the height look? Between the shoulder blades, right?

DSC08865.jpg

Thanks to all for your good advice and encouragement.

Little cheesecake picture to enjoy…

DSC08873.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom