Little present to myself. I think I did pretty well.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you remove the clips, take note that they only come off from one side. On the exhaust can (label) side the clip sets deeply in a grove, that side remains until the clip clears the main can (side tward the tank) then the clip can be removed from the exhaust side. So when you are rocking the clips off, only the main side will move. Same goes for replacing them, the exhaust side in first, then the main side. I prefer a ground set of vise grips to install them, you can gently ease up the pressure on them and do it equally by starting with the vise grips set so they will barely crimp all of the clips on, then go around several times turning the adjustment screw on the vise grips a little each time until you get a nice even crimp. I crimp them just past where I can slide them by hand.

I have a question that might help the OP as well. It doesn't look as if I will be diving any more this year, so I'm going to take my DA Aqua-Master completely apart for a good cleaning and servicing. Would it hurt to give all the internal parts and the inside of the can (supply side) a thin coating of silicone grease to help guard against corrosion? I've always done that to my single hose Aquarius and it has kept it corrosion free. The US Divers manual I have doesn't mention this.

It's plated brass and SS so as long as it's clean of salt water and dry I see no need to. Taking it apart for a good cleaning is always a good idea. Be sure to flush the hoses and make sure they are dry inside before reassembling and storing it.

I also don't see the need for any corrosion protection. Salt water will manage to get into the inhalation side of the can and it is no problem to pull the inhalation hose off and flush the inside of the can with fresh water and let it dry before putting the hose back on.

As mentioned above, there is no need to coat anything with grease. The grease can actually hold dust, sand, and other contaminants. I only lubricate items that actually slide pass each other, like the little O-ring in the balancing chamber of a Royal aqua Mater. IMO, there is no real need to lubricate anything in an Aqua Master since there are no O-rings. I may use a bit of silicone spray (not grease) on the metal sliding parts, but very light coating… trying to avoid anything that will actually capture dust. Make sure you don’t get any lubricant of any kind on the seats sealing surface or the volcano orifice (first or second stage).

and...

just picked up a black USD horse collar off Ebay for a decent price.
Hasn't made it here yet. Anxious to see if it holds air!

Not vintage I suppose, but kinda retro :wink:

Good luck. Those had terrible bladders. I have 2 that look almost new outside, inside one was a total loss and the other looks like an ad for Aquaseal.

and...

just picked up a black USD horse collar off Ebay for a decent price.
Hasn't made it here yet. Anxious to see if it holds air!

Not vintage I suppose, but kinda retro :wink:

LOL, it won't.

N

If you want a horse collar, check out the Sea Elite horse collar at Divers Supply. It's only $150 and is well made. I have one and it works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom