Suggestion List of members with the most positive comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
pauldw

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like looking at the ratio of good reaction scores to total posts (and screening out people with only a few posts since there wouldn’t be much statistical relevance in those cases) would create a decent metric showing how helpful any given member’s posts were seen by the community. Of course, one can just look at any given person’s two numbers and calculate it. But that’s a person by person thing. It might be interesting to have a list somewhere on the site listing perhaps the hundred most positive ratios, as that might make it easy to go through those people’s posts and see interesting things we might’ve missed. On the other hand, if such a list would just create bad feelings, it might not be worth it.

When I first read the title I thought in terms of who has posts that are the most positive in tone, as opposed to who has the the highest quantity of helpful posts. Immediately I thought “ @drrich2 would be at the top of the list, but the rest of the list is to be determined”. After all, that’s how we all knew he had been hacked!
Ok, back to the topic as it was meant to be.

Create a special sub forum and let the Mods selected those posts that worth to be taken seriously by all of us regardless of experiences etc etc.

The ScubaBoard Knowledge Base is an aggressively curated version of this suggestion requiring unanimous consent of staff and Member's Picks is open to any member to post their favorite threads, no curation required but members that disagree can debate it.

I fear your suggestion is too limiting, but might be pointing in the right direction. Just because some of us have been invited to volunteer to work behind the scenes to keep ScubaBoard working does not mean that we are the sole arbiters of what is valuable information.

When I first read the title I thought in terms of who has posts that are the most positive in tone, as opposed to who has the the highest quantity of helpful posts. Immediately I thought “ @drrich2 would be at the top of the list, but the rest of the list is to be determined”.

@pauldw and @RIHappyDiver

Here is a half-baked idea that might inspire a clever solution: Would a something like a Favorite Members forum be of any value? A member could enter some brief kudos about another member and include links to some of their fav posts.

Maybe we could come up with some special rules that keep it on topic?

Reactions: D_B
The ScubaBoard Knowledge Base is an aggressively curated version of this suggestion requiring unanimous consent of staff and Member's Picks is open to any member to post their favorite threads, no curation required but members that disagree can debate it.

I fear your suggestion is too limiting, but might be pointing in the right direction. Just because some of us have been invited to volunteer to work behind the scenes to keep ScubaBoard working does not mean that we are the sole arbiters of what is valuable information.

@pauldw and @RIHappyDiver

Here is a half-baked idea that might inspire a clever solution: Would a something like a Favorite Members forum be of any value? A member could enter some brief kudos about another member and include links to some of their fav posts.

Maybe we could come up with some special rules that keep it on topic?
Perhaps a twist for xenforo might be a "favorite" poster for each user. And those favorites" are summarized to create a list of posters who's input is valued the most.

This would require users to put effort into the system.

In my mind it's a SB version of MySpace having top 8 friends.... Except SB take those data points and ranks the top 10 posters on the forum.

Yes, I realize xenforo may not have this functionality... Just a thought.

Also, not much ever stays on topic on the internet...

Perhaps a twist for xenforo might be a "favorite" poster for each user. And those favorites" are summarized to create a list of posters who's input is valued the most.

In my mind it's a SB version of MySpace having top 8 friends.... Except SB take those data points and ranks the top 10 posters on the forum.

You would win, hands down.

This, like many such popularity schemes, are too easily gamed to no one's benefit other than the gamer.

I don't like this. Ignoring the pub since it is not regular SB. There is a lot of disagreement about gear and such which largely comes to preference.

@Akimbo , I think it’s a great idea, but I need to play devil’s advocate. Would a forum like that end up going by the wayside after a couple of months of novelty? I’m not saying this because I think it is true, I just really don’t know.
I definitely think it is worth considering. Would it be something that would go through the ScubaBoard Knowledge Base for vetting?

Back
Top Bottom